Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Thread Hijacking - Announcements and Notices - About this Forum - Start Here - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Mar 14th, 2007 09:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Folks -

I've noticed lately that a lot of threads are getting hijacked - in other words the original thread becomes a thread about something different altogether. I'd appreciate everyone's help in minimizing this. It's not that I'm same anal-retentive moderator who wants everything in a certain order. The problem is that people naturally post to threads they're interested in. Once they post, they get an e-mail every time someone else posts in that thread. I'd prefer people only get e-mails relevent to the subject they have an interest in. Not picking on anyone in particular (hell, I've even been guilty of it in the past), but if you find yourselves drifting off into a different topic, please open a new thread in the appropriate category. Appreciate the help....

Posted: Wed Mar 14th, 2007 11:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

My apologies. Guilty as charged. Will hope to do better in the future.

Doc C

Posted: Wed Mar 14th, 2007 11:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Relax Doc - you weren't charged ;) It's easy to do, and as I said I've done it myself. Just a head's up....

Posted: Wed Mar 14th, 2007 11:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

No problem Javal. You're right it's one thing to be discussing topic A then days later receive an email to open it up and find the subject being topic Z.

Posted: Wed Mar 14th, 2007 11:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

One problem is that so many of the participants don't post their email addresses and when more personal information is needed to be passed along the only avenue left is the forum.

Posted: Thu Mar 15th, 2007 01:26 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

The Official "Please Hijack This Thread" of CWi can be found in "Idle Chit-Chat", under the "Southern Gentlemen" thread.  Please take advantage of this thread to hijack all you want, while towing the line on other threads!

Thanks,

Joanie

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Mar 15th, 2007 03:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Mr. JDC,

No, you and Ole hijacked your thread; and now you and I are hijacking Mr. Joe's thread!  Let's take this to the SouthernGentlemen/grits/man-bashing/black-eyed peas thread, where it belongs, and STOP HIJACKING THIS THREAD (sorry, didn't mean to shout).  Oh, Oh, I'm in big trouble now....

Joanie

Posted: Thu Mar 15th, 2007 02:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
David White

Mana: 

Hey everyone post your NCAA final four here. ;)

Just joshing Javal.

I think you should charge that Doc C character with hijacking, I hear the air marshals watch him extremely closely when he flies ;)

Posted: Thu Mar 15th, 2007 03:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

David

Shouldn't say that too loud. Currently moonlighting in Colorado and have to fly back home next week. Good luck to you Ags in the tournament.

Doc C

Posted: Thu Mar 15th, 2007 06:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

JDC

Are you inclined to wear swine headwear?

Doc C

Posted: Thu Apr 5th, 2007 02:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

So two weeks after posting this topic, here we are again.

Folks, if you find yourself posting something and catch yourself typing "this probably deserves a new thread" (or something like that) then that's a very good sign that you should be opening a new thread.

There's several reasons. As I stated above, it's not fair to people to get an e-mail that a topic that they began or participated in received a response just to find the response is totally unrelated.

Also, it's not fair to new members who rightly want to catch up on what's been discussed regarding certain topics, only to find themselves having to wade through pages of unrelated stuff in the hopes that somewhere someone actually came back to the original topic.

Thirdly, you end up with a disorganized mess of very few topics, each with 5,7,9 or more pages of responses.

So one more time, can we please stop the thread hijacking? See how nice I'm asking? :X

Posted: Thu Apr 5th, 2007 04:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

JDC -

Trust me, it's not just you.

I understand the dilemma you speak of, namely  "I am never sure when a new thread is in order when a discussion moves on to a definitely different, but related, issue.  I also think to myself that if a new thread is started here or there, it would lose the continuity of ideas presented in the preceeding posts." I realize it's sometimes a tough call. Best advice I can give, as I said, is if you find yourself saying it should be a new thread, just do it.

As for the "Southern Gentleman" thread, I'm not about to even try to stop it now, and since it was invited to be hijacked by the original poster, go to town.

In my defense for my current crankiness, I've now been up for well over 40 hours straight, so I'm going to post tomorrow's news now and try to get some sleep....

Posted: Thu Apr 5th, 2007 04:58 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Joe first of all get some sleep.  Second sorry if I am guilty of hijacking .  This is the best board around . 

susan

Posted: Fri Apr 6th, 2007 10:56 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

"As for the "Southern Gentleman" thread, I'm not about to even try to stop it now, and since it was invited to be hijacked by the original poster"

Mr. Joe,

Please: give credit where credit is due!  JDC Duncan was the original poster, but I believe it was me who invited everyone to highjack his thread.   OK, now it's back to the "Southern Gentlemen" thread for me!

JoanieReb

Last edited on Fri Apr 6th, 2007 12:08 pm by JoanieReb

You have chosen to ignore indy19th. click Here to view this post

Current time is 06:48 pmPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2048 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 32 queries executed.