Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Missourians and Kansans - Other People of the Civil War - The Participants of the War - Mikitary & Civilian - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Apr 17th, 2007 08:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
missourianconfederate

Mana: 

Note these are gathered from multiple sources and some of my opinons your welcome to correct me if you wish.

Missourians:

William Clarke Quantrill-Gureilla Captain of Bushwackers from the Blue Springs Area. Responsible for the Masacre of Lawrance, Kansas. After Sterling Prices Raid fell heand his famous band put on Yankee Uniforms and jumped the Mississippi. He was in route to assassainate President Lincoln but Booth Beat him to it. Also hearing about General Robert E Lee's surrendered ordered to disband and surrender. Killed in Kentucky. He personally killed about 140 people.

"Bloody" Bill Anderson-  Lt. of Quantrill. Relatives of his were arrested for aiding rebels and taken to prision in Kansas City the Jail collasped killing all but 1 I believe. Which made Bloody Bill go on a rampage and kill. Was killed before the War ended.

Frank and Jessie James- Rode with Quantrill and his Raiders. And where later in the the famous James- Younger Gang. Also Cole Younger was with them most of the time.

General Joesph Shelby- One of the most beloved Confederate Generals of Missouri... Also is known as the "Never Surrendered General" Instead of surrendering his flag he sank it with rocks in the buttom of the Rio Grande River in Mexico when he retreated. (My favorite Calvary Commander Before Nathan B. Forrest and JEB Stuart)

Cleborne Jackson- Exiled Governor of Missouri. Was pro Southern... Also organised the Missouri State Miltia into the State Guard to rebel against Nathaniel Lyons.

Sterling Price- General of the Missouri State Guard Troops and former Governor of Missouri. Made his desperate last attempt to capture Missouri for the Confederacy and was defeated at Westport...forcing him to retreat to Arkansas and back to Mississippi. Went to Richmond and tried to convence Jeff Davis to send a Corps to Missouri... But No.

Francis M. Cockrell - From Warrensburg became a Lawyer then became a captain in the Missouri State Guard(MSG) then rose to Colonel and took charge of the Missouri Brigade. "The South's Finest Troops Leader" Who's Missourians where the Rear guard for every single major Trans Mississippi Department retreat. Who litterally made Grant pissed as hell. The saved the day at Kennesaw Mountain, GA for the Confederacy.

My favorite General personally...

Kansans.

Jim Lane- Leader of the Jayhawkers (Hence the Lawrance(Kansas University) Jayhawks.) who led multiple raids and raided and pillaged Missouri burn Oceala, Missouri to the ground killing any men and boys he and his band found. Basically Quantrill and Lane tried to hunt and kill each other down most of the war.

Posted: Tue Apr 17th, 2007 09:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
HankC

Mana: 

It's difficult to say Quantrill is a 'Missourian'.

After leaving Ohio, the place he hung his hat the longest is actually Lawrence. I doubt they'd claim him as a native son...

HankC

Posted: Tue Apr 17th, 2007 10:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
missourianconfederate

Mana: 

That is very true... But he is better known for being a noctorious guriella raider on the Unionist in the Kansas/Missouri area. But yes I am aware he is from Ohio. I really didn't have time to finish typing them out... That was highlight... And Ironically most of the Missourians I put where Confederates... And Jim Lane was a yank..as far as I can tell even though Both him and Quantrill played Hide and Go Raid a lot.

MOCONFED

Posted: Wed Apr 18th, 2007 02:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
HankC

Mana: 

Do not forget CHarles Jennison and James Montgomery...

maybe even John Brown for madman balance ;)

Posted: Wed Apr 18th, 2007 07:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
missourianconfederate

Mana: 

LOL I was working on them but my brother needed the comp. So I left them out.

But Missouri and Kansas where pretty damn bloody.

But I'm pretty sure someone once said you could earn a dr. degree if you can say how many hankerchefs to clean up all the blood in the American Civil War.

I'd say 1,003,455,667,644,626.66 would be pretty damn close. LOL

And Mahaffie Stagecoach Station Reenactment is this weekend. Which I'm going to unfortunately its my senior prom also... So I'm deserting the ranks Saturday afternoon- Sunday early morning-. LOL

MOCONFED

Posted: Fri Aug 1st, 2008 03:26 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Maranda Jane Cockrell

Mana: 

I hope it's okay to post a question here, it's about Quantrill, Jo Shelby and Col. Vard Cockrell

I've read online that Quantrill used to winter over in Grayson County, Texas very close to a small city which was named Kentucky Town. What has piqued my curiosity is about this is that I read in an old Texas newspaper that at the end of the war when General Jo Shelby went through Texas to Mexico, that Jeremiah Vardeman had packed up his wife & children and the entire family went along with Jo Shelby and all those soldiers but the Cockrells didn't go to Mexico, they stopped in Texas and settled in Grayson County.

Does anybody here happen to know if lots of families left Missouri, and went to Texas along with the Cockrells, travelling along with Jo Shelby?

Does anybody know if any of Quantrill's raiders relocated to this area of Texas, too? Were many of them travelling with Jo Shelby to Mexico?

And lastly, in Missouri, so many people had their homes burned to the ground -- in the case of Col. Vard, I read that his home was destroyed just a few weeks before the Battle of Lone Jack.

Anyway, with so many houses razed, where did families find shelter? I mean, was it safe for relatives to take in people who were the focus of such tremendous hate & hostility? Is there any way to find out more about the actual living conditions of people who'd had their homes destroyed?

Thanks.

Posted: Fri Aug 1st, 2008 04:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Maranda Jane Cockrell-

I don't have any specific information about how many Missourians travelled with Jo Shelby to Mexico or how many settled in Texas. I also have not researched information on how many of Quantrill's men settled in Texas.

I can tell you that a number of Missourians made Texas connections years before the Civil War. Their number includes some of the Cockrells.

Alexander Cockrell was born in KY and his family moved to MO when he was a small child. He came to TX as a young man and worked for Ben McCullouch during the Mexican War. He established himself in the Dallas Area in the 1850s before being killed in a gunfight in 1858.

Handbook of Texas Online - COCKRELL, ALEXANDER

Alexander's wife, Sarah Horton Cockrell, became a prominent businesswoman before and after the war.

Handbook of Texas Online - COCKRELL, SARAH HORTON

You are obviously quite familiar with the life of COL Jeremiah Vardaman Cockrell, since you have taken the name of his wife, Maranda Jane Douglass Cockrell. After the war he was prominent in Grayson and Jones counties as a judge and a congressman.

Handbook of Texas Online - COCKRELL, JEREMIAH VARDAMAN

His Congressional bio:

COCKRELL, Jeremiah Vardaman - Biographical Information

You might like to read newspaper articles on this site that discuss his passing and funeral arrangements.

Jeremiah Vardeman Cockrell (1832 - 1915) - Find A Grave Memorial

This response hasn't done much to answer the questions you posed, but if it gives you any information about the Cockrells that you didn't have, then it was worth the effort.

Last edited on Fri Aug 1st, 2008 04:20 am by Texas Defender

Posted: Sat Aug 2nd, 2008 03:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

I think Cockrell's Missouri brigade was one of the best in the entire Confederate army.

Posted: Sat Aug 2nd, 2008 10:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Maranda Jane Cockrell

Mana: 

The Iron Duke wrote:
I think Cockrell's Missouri brigade was one of the best in the entire Confederate army.

That was Francis Marion COCKRELL, younger brother of Jeremiah Vardeman COCKRELL, who was better known as "Colonel Vard."

I've read some letters written to his older brother Vard, and it's obvious that Francis Marion COCKRELL was an exceptionally intelligent man, very cultured -- I once read somewhere online that before he practiced law that he was a professor of linguistics, which isn't surprising given how articulate he was with the written word.

It's quite difficult, however, tracking down just WHICH "Francis Marion" COCKRELL and WHICH "Jeremiah Vardeman" or "Vard" COCKRELL actually in fact, did what, where.

Posted: Sat Aug 2nd, 2008 11:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Maranda Jane Cockrell

Mana: 

Hi there,

Thanks for posting those links - although I'm familiar with them, plenty of posters might not know anything about Brigader General Francis Marion Cockrell's older brother, "Colonel Vard."

Here are a couple links for you.

The first one occurs in your state, it's an account by a Pioneer District Attorney about traveling around northern Texas with former Missourian Judge Cockrell. I can't imagine how he did all that travel -- some time before he died, they discovered that during one of the times he was wounded in the war, that a bullet became lodged in his spine - and it wasn't discovered for decades, and was responsible for some type or version of paralysis, for which I don't yet have any details.

The second link is a FASCINATING story about a young girl helping to serve dinner to the (Missourian) Jessee James gang when they all showed up at the sister of Jesse's, at her home in Grayson County, Texas -- it's quite an engrossing read.

Pioneer District Attorney
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~txcrosby/misc/district_attorney.html

Strong Connnections to Grayson County
http://genforum.genealogy.com/outlaws/messages/14917.html

There are so many men, all living at the same time who all have the surname COCKRELL, and are named either: Alexander, Simon, Francis, Vard, or Jeremiah. I see things attributed to Jeremiah Vardeman Cockrell frequently, that have no basis in fact. There's simply so many people with the same name and then people start attributing things to people who didn't have anything to do with them. Same name, wrong person. LOL

Texas Defender wrote:
Maranda Jane Cockrell-

† I don't have any specific information about how many Missourians travelled with Jo Shelby to Mexico or how many settled in Texas. I also have not researched information on how many of Quantrill's men settled in Texas.

† I can tell you that a number of Missourians made Texas connections years before the Civil War. Their number includes some of the Cockrells....

Posted: Sat Aug 2nd, 2008 11:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Maranda Jane Cockrell-

Thanks for the links. I've studied the James/Younger gangs some, and looked some into the genealogy of Jesse James' family.

I've certainly run  across the name Allen Parmer, the brother-in-law of Jesse and Frank James.

Handbook of Texas Online - PARMER, ALLEN

However, I had never heard of young Minnie Gryder, so that was something new. I am not sure of the connection. I don't see any Gryder on my list of Quantrill's men. I don't know of any Gryders that were in the James/Younger gangs.

The James and Younger boys had some interesting female connections. The following is off the James/Younger Gangs Homepage.

The James - Younger Gang -- The Women Behind the Bandits

Posted: Sat Aug 2nd, 2008 11:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
izzy

Mana: 

I just tripped across this title at http://www.tarheelpress.com :

Desperate Measures: Jesse James and the Klan Battles of Reconstruction by Ganis, Shouse, and Bumgarner

Just passing on this info.

Posted: Sun Aug 3rd, 2008 02:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Maranda Jane Cockrell

Mana: 

Hi Texas Defender.

I plan to read a book called THE BLOODY SHIRT which is about Reconstruction.

Meantime, if you are interested in Jesse James, then perhaps you've come across a few online remarks that the Cockrell family is related to the James family.

I've never seen anything in the actual genealogical websites about any connection, it's just a few stray comments, that I didn't even save the webpages on. But they got my curiousity, wondering how that apparent myth arose, and I think that this interesting posting about Doc Holliday potentially posing as a Dr. D.L. Cockrell MIGHT have something to do with these stray comments.

I still haven't located any Cockrell named "Jesse James Cockrell," but I won't be surprised if I run across one, after reading this unique account from someone else's Family History.

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/cherokeegene/2001-12/1008982915

"....His name was Dr. J.L. Cockrell, born about 1829 in Marion Co., GA. He was the 2nd husband of Eliza Thomas King. They met and married in Bette, MS. Family legend refers to Cockrell as the 'mysterious Dr. Cockrell'. When Eliza's 1st husband, William Barnett Meredith, died she and her children who were still young moved to Bette and met the Dr. who was a stranger in town and didn't talk much about himself. They married and had children, one of whom he named after Jesse James, a famed outlaw of that period. After news of the outlaw's death, the mysterious Dr. disappeared. Desendants believe that he was "DOC HOLIDAY", sidekick to Jesse James. Their other child was named Nora. Jesse James Cockrell was born about 1881 and Nora about 1883. I've done some research on the timeframes for these events and can't make anything fit..."

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/cherokeegene/2001-12/1008982915

Posted: Sun Aug 3rd, 2008 02:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Maranda Jane Cockrell

Mana: 

izzy wrote:
I just tripped across this title at http://www.tarheelpress.com :

Desperate Measures: Jesse James†and the Klan Battles of Reconstruction by Ganis, Shouse, and Bumgarner

Just passing on this info.

Thanks, Izzy -- I'm interested in some aspects of Reconstruction, as there have been several occasions where I've surfed across stray comments here & there about the activities of COCKRELLS after the end of the Civil War. For instance, in one place, I read that Colonel Vard Cockrell, AKA Jeremiah Vardeman Cockrell was active in the "Reign of Terror," -- however, if anyone of that name did participate, then it was another individual with the identical name, but is NOT the Confederate Colonel Vard, because in Texas, the account claims that he and his wife & children went along with General Jo Shelby to Texas where they resettled, so he couldn't possibly have been in Missouri to be active in what little I've located online about the "Reign of Terror."

Posted: Sun Aug 3rd, 2008 02:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Maranda Jane Cockrell

Mana: 

Texas Defender, have you seen this article about Parmer and Simon Cockrell?

Both Brig.General Frances Marion Cockrell and his older brother Jeremiah Vardeman Cockrell, who was called Colonel Vard by his soldiers and referred to as J.Vard Cockrell later in Texas newspapers -- both of these brothers from farms near Warrensburg, MO would have known the James family, as they were neighbors.

And certainly Jeremiah Vardeman Cockrell would personally know William Quantrill as they fought together at Lone Jack.

I once read somewhere online that he was one of Quantrill's Raiders, but have never seen anything to substantiate that.

However, I suspect that maybe this misunderstanding came about because there is an older half brother, who allegedly was involved with Quantrill, via his friendship with Parmer.

However, there are MANY men at that time with the name, Simon Cockrell, and there also are several Simons in Texas, a Simon Wesley in Texas, and a Wesley Cockrell near Dallas who presumably is a cousin to Frances & Jeremiah.

I haven't finished any of the actual research mandatory to clarify Who-Is-Whom, among the many many many Simons.

I can't vouch for its accuracy or lack thereof.

It apparently is a letter to the St.Louis Republic about a newspaper article published originally in Texas.

In the Texas version, they call him Congressman (J.Vard) Cockrell's brother, and in the Missouri newspaper, they refer to Senator (Frances) Cockrell's brother.

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/cockrell/1997-08/0871507463

The Weekly Standard, Warrensburg, Missouri, Friday, July 28, 1899
SENATOR COCKRELL'S BROTHER
Leads an Active Life at the Age of Ninety-Eight
Wichita Falls, Tex.,
Letter in the St. Louis Republic.

No other state ever had a nobler set of pioneers than Texas, but they are now nearly all dead. Among the few survivors is S.N. Cockrell, now in his 98th year. Mr. Cockrell, is a half brother of J. V. Cockrell, who represented this district in the fifty-second and fifty-third congresses, and of United States senator Francis M. Cockrell of Missouri. He had reached middle life before they were born.

This venerable man, who has done a great deal toward making history, was in this city a few days ago. He was on his way from Coryell County, in Central Texas, to Fisher County, near the border of New Mexico, a distance of more than 400 miles. He was making his journey alone in a two-horse wagon, camping out at night, cooking his own meals and sleeping in his wagon. He spent a day in this city and then drove eight miles in the country to the residence of Allen Parmer where he remained two days.

His acquaintance with Mr. Parmer began when he was one of Price's trusted scouts and Parmer was one of Quantrell's followers, and a close friendship has existed ever since.

On this trip Mr. Cockrell had with him a Winchester rifle and a double barreled shotgun, and was killing a good deal of time by shooting jack rabbits and plover. He has had no settled home for several years and spends his time among his relatives, who reside in widely seperated portions of the state.

Mr. Cockrell, or "Uncle Si," as his old acquaintances call him, was born in Petersburg, Virginia in March 1801. In childhood his father moved to Kentucky, where he lived until the son was 27 years old. The family then moved to Johnson County, Missouri, where the young man remained until 1833, when he came to Texas, where he has ever since lived.

He was a soldier in the Texas army under Sam Houston, and among the engagements in which he participated was that of San Jacinto. After that war was over, he went through the trying experience of the early settlers of Texas - fighting Indians and protecting the border from Mexican depredations, until the Mexican war, when he again joined the army and performed valuable service under both Generals Scott and Taylor.

Although 60 years of age when the war between the north and south began, he at once took up arms in defense of the confederacy, and served through the entire four years of that struggle.

In the early part of the war he acted as a recruiting officer, and at one time took 400 recruits out of Missouri to General Price's army. Parmer and others, who were at the battle of Lone Jack in Missouri, say that it was due to him more than any other man that the confederacy gained the victory.

After that battle he continued to serve as recruiting officer and scout until the close of the war, when he returned to Texas, and has lived a quiet and unpretentious life ever since. Mr. Cockrell was married in early life, but his wife and their children are dead, and for more than fifty years he has been a widower.

Notwithstanding his great age he does not show its infirmities. His step is firm, and he reads and shoots without glasses. He has been reading the Republic for fifty years and keeps himself well posted on all of the leading topics of the day. He lives in the present, believes in progress and thinks the latest improvements the best. Coming into the world at the beginning of the present century, he will, no doubt, see the dawn of the next, and be among the very last of the Texas pioneers to pass away.

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/cockrell/1997-08/0871507463

Posted: Sun Aug 3rd, 2008 03:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Maranda Jane Cockrell-

Thanks for the interesting articles. I'm afraid that I know nothing about : "Uncle Si" Cockrell (born 1801). I do believe that the Cockrell brothers we've been discussing were grandsons of a Simon Cockrell (1745-1835) who was born in Virginia.

I can tell you that no Cockrells are on my list of men who rode with Quantrill, though I certainly won't maintain that my list is perfect.

I haven't done much research into Cockrell genealogy, but taking Francis Marion Cockrell as subject, it seems that:

His parents were Joseph Cockrell and Nancy Ellis.

His wives were : 1) Arethusa Stapp (1853) , died 1859, 2) Anne E. Mann (1867), died 1873, and: 3) Anna Ewing (1873).

First cousins included Elisha Logan Cockrell  and Harrison Cockrell, who were both legislators and judges in KY. I note that some relatives in KY spell the name Cockrill.

I'd be curious to find out more about this Simon Cockrell (born in 1801).

This is a fine exercise, since I'm looking in places where I haven't looked before.  :)

Posted: Sun Aug 3rd, 2008 08:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Maranda Jane Cockrell

Mana: 

Hi again, Texas Defender.

Well, when I originally posted, I simply was curious about the area where Quantrill wintered over, as there simply are a few things that I've gathered here & there, on various genealogy boards, that are... curious. LOL

Anyway, I wasn't expecting the great interest you're showing.

Let me caution you, that actually very little exists online about JV or FM Cockrell; in fact, I've only seen one person refer to themselves as a descendant of FM's, have seen noone online tied to JV, AND am now aware that although the newspaper accounts are frequently very favorable & "flowery" about both men, that obviously there were some serious family schisms.

Here is just one 'for instance,' which is a remark from a late researcher into Cockrell family history, years ago before she died, she mentioned online: QUOTE
"..."Poppy' West had little use for Francis Marion Cockrell. Family stories of how he felt about this man kept me from gathering anything about him for a very long time. Poppy or James Samuel West was the son of Nancy Cockrell and Barksdale West all of Johnson County, Missouri. Nancy Cockrell being the daughter of Morgan Cockrell and Hannah Andrews. The politics were different and so were the religious beliefs of these two related families. This is possibly why some stated that the two families of Cockrells living in the same County were not believed to be related. Still we see that in fact Joseph and Morgan Cockrell were indeed brothers."

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/COCKRELL/1998-04/0891801366

Anyway, I've seen lots of discrepencies and plenty of outright errors about JV & FM, so I urge caution in researching them.

Here is a link to what seems to be an accurate family tree, beginning with John COCKRILL; if you go down into the 1800s, you'll see that there IS a Simon Wesley Cockrell born in Alabama.

I am VERY curious about this specific Simon Wesley Cockrell, and what connection he is (or is NOT) to the Simon Cockrell who is supposedly the half-brother of JV & FM.

And I want to know WHO is the cousin named, Wesley Cockrell who lived near Sarah Horton. Alexander Cockrell is said to have met Sarah and stayed in Texas because he went to visit his cousin Wesley who lived near Sarah Horton.

So.... there is, you see:

Simon Cockrell, elder half-brother to JV & FM
Simon Wesley Cockrell, Texan born in Alabama
Wesley Cockrell, Texas cousin of Alex, JV & FM

COCKRELL FAMILY LINEAGE by Jim Burgess
†John Cockrill....
http://gedcom.surnames.com/burgess_jim/np277.htm

An early family tree compiled by F.N.Cockrell Tom Cockerels Genealogy
http://www.geocities.com/heartland/ridge/9484/cockrell.htm

Posted: Sun Aug 3rd, 2008 09:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Maranda Jane Cockrell-

I'm certainly looking at some interesting folks here. I am not a native Texan, but I've lived here for a very long time, and I can't resist studying Texas history.

I've consulted the Civil War Soldiers & Sailors System, but the only Simon Cockrell I found was a sergeant in the 1st Choctaw and Chickasaw Rifles.(Douglas Cooper's regiment). That could not have been the Simon Cockrell born in 1801.

It was said that the one born in 1801 served the Confederacy as a recruiter, but I see no record of it. Some units raised by the state of Texas were brought into CSA service. Monetary support from the TX legislature was uneven. So, I can't say that he did or didn't serve.

I cannot find any authenticity to the claim that the Cockrells were any relation to the James family. Here is a typical James genealogy site:

Genealogy of Jesse JAMES & Zerelda Amanda MIMMS

Looking elsewhere I haven't seen any Cockrells listed as spouses during the generations in question.

As for this cousin Wesley Cockrell, could he be the one born in 1851 who died in 1905? That one can be found in Sweetwater Cemetery in Sweetwater, TX. That would have made him a much younger cousin of the Cockrell brothers born almost 20 years earlier. Hmmm......

Posted: Sun Aug 3rd, 2008 09:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
Maranda Jane Cockrell

Mana: 

LONG.QUOTE from Rootsweb COCKRELL-L mail list
"......He [i.e., Simon...] was the brother of Alexander Cockrell who bought Dallas, Texas in 1852 from John Neeley Bryant, and was killed by the Sheriff on the streets of Dallas. Their mother was Sally Hunt who died in about 1830 in Johnson county, Missouri. This date was calculated based on the fact that she died when Alexander was 14 years old. Both of these Texas Heroes came to Texas very early in our history and served their country well! Joseph Cockrell, their father remarried Nancy Ellis who was born in 1803..... QUESTION??? Alexander Cockrell, the brother of the above Simon, came to Texas in about 1843 following runaway slaves, and stayed to join the Texas Rangers, and fight in the Mexican War of 1846, and was about to go home in about 1850 when he decided to visit his cousin, Wesley Cockrell who was living at Mountain Lake located just south of present day Dallas, Texas. It was during this visit that he met Wesley's neighbor, Sarah H. Horton whom he married and the rest is history, as they say! Was Wesley Cockrell the son of Simon Cockrell? http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/COCKRELL/1997-08/0871009192

http://www.tamu.edu/ccbn/dewitt/davidburket2.htm
Edna Burket (abt 1819 HowardCo, MO-aft Nov 1850 TX) married Simon Wesley Cockrell (b. abt 1811 KY, son of John R. Cockrell) on 12 Feb 1838. The marriage is recorded in WashingtonCo records although family legends refer to a marriage in Hochheim, DeWittCo, TX. It is thought that Edna was dead in 1845 when the Burkett estate was partitioned and Simon Cockrell received a portion for his wife. However, the 1850 Federal Census for CaldwellCo lists family 91: Cockeral, Simon 36 KY; Edney 31 MO; Mary Ann 12 TX; William
W. 10 TX; Francis M. 6 TX; Ophelia C. 3 TX. Simon and Edna had children Mary Ann (b. 1838), William (Bill) W. (1840-1923), Francis (Frank) M. (b. 1844), Ophelia C. (b. 1847) and Polly (See Children of Edna & Simon Cockrell). † Simon Cockrell is thought to be the individual of the same name who was wounded at the Battle of Salado and whose narrow escape from death at the hands of C√≥rdova's Indians is the subject of multiple personal accounts of the battle. In 1837, Simon Cockrell received 320 acres bounty land in GuadalupeCo for service to the Republic of.....

LONG - continues at link, and states that this Simon Cockrell is half cherokee; that he takes the children of his late wife away from their grandmother and takes them to an Indian Camp, and elsewhere on that website, one of his children as an adult drops the surname, Cockrell; I think he becomes John William Wesley.
http://www.tamu.edu/ccbn/dewitt/davidburket2.htm

The person who has put together the Burket family history seems to be attributing to the Simon Wesley Cockrell some thngs that the newspaper article above state are done by the elder half-brother of JV and FM.

And here is a long messagethread about Kentucky Town, where Quantrill, et al, would all winter over. Kentucky Town is in the general vicinity of where General Joseph Shelby dropped off J.Vard and Maranda Cockrell and their five children ( - about whom, interestingly, there is nowhere online, NOWHERE, which lists ALL the names of ALL their children, lol.)

BeNotForgot.com :: GoneToTexas -
Kentucky Town, Grayson County
http://gonetotexas.proboards37.com/index.cgi?board=Henry&action=display&thread=28

Posted: Sun Aug 3rd, 2008 11:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Maranda Jane Cockrell-

I can see how people might confuse the Simon Wesley Cockrell (born about 1811) with the Simon born in 1801.

Since he was apparently half Cherokee, the 1811 Simon could well be the sergeant who served in the Indian regiment.

Your last post mentions a son of Simon Wesley Cockrell who went by the name of John Wesley. He is probably John "Grandpa" Wesley (1841-1938) who can be found in Old Margaret Cemetery in Foard County, Texas. (His wife was Mary Frances Wesley(1854-1937)). A source says that John served in the Civil War, but I can't verify that. He was the right age to be the son of the 1811 Simon, and to serve in the war.

Here is a short history of Kentucky Town. Apparently, a few people still live there.

Handbook of Texas Online - KENTUCKY TOWN, TX

I see that the first postmaster of Kentucky Town, Jacob Alfred Drye, also owned a store. I wonder if he called it the: "Drye Goods Store."  ;)

Your last post said that no source can be found that lists the five children of COL "Vard" Cockrell. I'll happily take your word for that. If you can't find them, then my chances of doing so are about zero.  :D

Last edited on Mon Aug 4th, 2008 01:12 am by Texas Defender

Current time is 01:55 pmPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2598 seconds (22% database + 78% PHP). 29 queries executed.