Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Sam Watkins - Other People of the Civil War - The Participants of the War - Mikitary & Civilian - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Apr 20th, 2007 05:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I hate to admit it but I am just now getting around to reading Company Aytch.  I love how Sam tells his story.  He does have a way with words. 

I have a question though.  After the battle of Chickamauga Sam talks about Days' brigade passing them gunless etc and they all seemed to have the 'possom grins   Is this a good grin or not?  He goes on to say they don't say a word.  Although others yelled Yaller Hammer ,Alabama at them.

Posted: Fri Apr 20th, 2007 06:42 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Possibly, "possum grins" refers to the old legend of the shame of the possum because his tail was naked. This results in his sheepish grin.

Sunstone Press - Sample Chapter

Posted: Fri Apr 20th, 2007 07:07 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Steven Cone

Mana: 

Susan,
Sam was referring Deas Brigade but my understanding his name ways pronounced as Days..  And at times you see it spelled that way.

The Alabama state bird is the Yellow Hammer hence  Alabama  troops  were nicknamed
Btw.  Deas Brigade was made of  Alabama troops (19th 22nd, 25th, 39th, 50th Alabama infantry & 17th Alabama Battalion Sharpshooters.)  

Not sure about the Possum Grin comment. -  If  I recall right  Deas' Brigade had more men then rifles going into the battle..   I cant recall the casualties for the brigade but .. the 22nd Alabama  suffered of  50 % casualties.

The Twenty-second Alabama .. Went into action with 31 officers and 340 men; aggregate 371. Killed: Officers, 5; Enlisted men 39. Wounded: Officers 10; enlisted men, 151. Missing, none. Aggregate killed, wounded, and missing 205.

I had three relatives in the 22nd Alabama but only two were at Chickamauga one had died in Dec of 1862. But that's a different story.

regards,
Steven

Posted: Fri Apr 20th, 2007 07:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Zacariah Cantey Deas first commanded the 22nd Alabama. He spent a huge sum of his own money, something like $28,000., to equip the regiment with Enfield rifles. He was reimbursed with Confederate war bonds. It would seem that his investment did not pay off in the end.

However, it seems that he prospered after the war in spite of his loss. He moved to New York City where he was a cotton broker and became a member of the New York Stock Exchange.

Zachariah C. Deas (1819 - 1882) - Find A Grave Memorial

Posted: Fri Apr 20th, 2007 09:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Texas that makes alot of sense in context of the events Sam is talking about.  Thanks.  Steve thanks for the added information.  My copy of Company Aytch does spell the name Days.  I just checked again.   I also noticed it was after Missionary Ridge that this inccident happened.  

Last edited on Fri Apr 20th, 2007 09:33 am by susansweet

Posted: Fri Apr 20th, 2007 01:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Steven Cone

Mana: 

Ahh Ok  thats makes more sence. At Missionary Ridge ..

It is jthought that.. That that  the portion of the of the battlefield  broke first Nov. 25th.  was the area of Deas brigade held.. 

Accourding to Brig. General Manigualt  Who ways beside Deas. Brigade . Deas Brigade  works were built upon the or near the crest of the ridge not the military crest..  So when the union army charged up the hill they were upon them  before  before they could fire more than  volley or two and then the line broke. 

Manigualt Brigade had a clear view of fire and  held out longer and watched Deas Brigade  broke.

Then of course the Deas Brigad was only a fraction of its former self  after the Battle of Chickamuga

Texas you are correct Deas outfited the 22nd but was only commander for a short while..  Deas briefly took command of the Brigade at Shiloh after Brig Gen. Gladden  was killed and are Col Adams of the 1st La Inf was wounded and then Deas  himself was wounded. 

The Brigade was reorganized  before the battle Murfreesboro & Deas  officialy took command of the Brigade (On Paper) but due to his wounds Col Loomis commanded the Brigade on the field.   

The Mssionary ridge  event is  the  only shamefull act "if you call it that" Blame it on who placed them on the crest of the hill.. I think it was Hindman. 

Having relatives in the brigade I have followed them pretty closely through out the war. As well as Manigualt's  Which I had ywo relatives in the 28th Alabama. 

Regards,

Steven

"After General Gladden was wounded the command devolved upon Colonel Adams, of the 1st Louisiana Infantry, who continued in charge, doing deeds of noble daring, until about 2 p.m., when he fell severely wounded. Colonel Deas, of the 22nd Alabama, then took command for the rest of the day, receiving several wounds, but still remaining upon the field, deporting himself as a true soldier, exposing himself to the fire of the enemy, and winning the hearts of the whole brigade."  Colonel J. Q. Loomis Battle of Shiloh[size=4 PT]

Last edited on Fri Apr 20th, 2007 07:29 pm by Steven Cone

Posted: Fri Apr 20th, 2007 09:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Steven; at one time while studying Missionary Ridge I read that a portion of Deas Brigade had stacked arms and never broke stacks.  I have never been able to figure this out or verify if it has any bassis in fact.  It never made any sense to me; still doesn't.  Any insight or ideas from your own research if what I read was just hogwash?

Posted: Sat Apr 21st, 2007 02:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Steven Cone

Mana: 

First I have heard of that Shane. 

I find it vary hard to believe that someone would  still have stacked arms  with all the firing going on.  Even without orders if the bullets were flying over my head I with have my gun ready.

If true only thing I can think of  is that that they were upon them before  they could get their guns.

Although I have been in the area..   I have never been on top of Missionary ridge.  Could ever figure out how to get  on top of of it and kept going through the tunnels through it.    :(

Current time is 03:40 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1651 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 25 queries executed.