Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Dale Junior - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jan 18th, 2008 06:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
101st Post
Kentucky_Orphan

Mana: 

I know this is a nascar thread for those who enjoy the "sport" of nascar. So then, could someone please enlighten me as to how you can stand to watch a nascar race all the way through?

Hey, I am southern! I enjoy southern food (chicken and dumplins, sweet tea), and hunting as much as the next redneck in line. But nascar? Oh well, i guess I just fall short in attaining the redneck triple crown...

I mean, really, rally races I can understand....but, NASCAR?

Posted: Fri Jan 18th, 2008 06:54 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
102nd Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

"JOANIE!!!! You're back!!!!"

Like a bad penny!  I could never stay away from you for too long, Pvt. Clewell. :):) :D:D)__

"In fact, it's a good thing the NASCAR off-season lasts only 12 months a year"

Oh, shi...ot!!!!! I thought it only felt like 12 months, as opposed to weeks.  Excuse me, now that I know the truth, I must resume banging my head against the wall.

"Are you back here for keeps or will you be returning to the cave for a few more weeks?"

Well, I didn't see my shadow :)...just a bunch of blurry shapes...all that head-banging you know...

"I'm having fantasies of Junior winning the 500. Do you think that could come true?"

I think it's a REAL possibilty.  My $ is on him or Smoke - and not because they are my favorite drivers.  They both want it bad, and did real good in testing.  Smoke's gotta deal with the whole switch-to-Toyota-thing, but I don't really think that's gonna hold him back much if at all.  In any case, Junior is for sure gonna take a few this year.

"So then, could someone please enlighten me as to how you can stand to watch a nascar race all the way through?"

Well, KO, I usually sit for at least half of each one, but I suppose on both feet would be easiest.....

Last edited on Fri Jan 18th, 2008 07:32 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Fri Jan 18th, 2008 01:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
103rd Post
kj3553
Born in the wrong century

Mana: 

Kentucky_Orphan wrote: I know this is a nascar thread for those who enjoy the "sport" of nascar. So then, could someone please enlighten me as to how you can stand to watch a nascar race all the way through?

Hey, I am southern! I enjoy southern food (chicken and dumplins, sweet tea), and hunting as much as the next redneck in line. But nascar? Oh well, i guess I just fall short in attaining the redneck triple crown...

I mean, really, rally races I can understand....but, NASCAR?

What can I say? I get the same question from people who want to know how the heck I can stand to watch a hockey game on TV, too. ;)

Wish I could give you an *intelligent* answer, but all I can say is -- I like it! :)

Posted: Fri Jan 18th, 2008 02:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
104th Post
Roger

Mana: 

:shock: I was going to ask what all this was about and thought better of it:D

Roger

Posted: Fri Jan 18th, 2008 02:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
105th Post
kj3553
Born in the wrong century

Mana: 

It's about drivers of those cars that go fast and turn left in never-ending circles...or ovals...or tri-ovals...except for the occasional road coarse... ;-)

Posted: Fri Jan 18th, 2008 02:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
106th Post
Roger

Mana: 

)(90 Well explained, just enough info for me to understand, thank you.:D

Roger

Posted: Fri Jan 18th, 2008 02:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
107th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Imagine Trafalgar or Leicester Squares at rush hour. Then you have an idea of what NASCAR's about.

I guess.

Posted: Fri Jan 18th, 2008 02:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
108th Post
Roger

Mana: 

:shock: What!! Don't the cars move? That sounds very boring:D

Posted: Fri Jan 18th, 2008 03:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
109th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Ha. Got me.

On second thought, maybe it's better if it's not rush hour. Or maybe when pedestrians are trying to cross. Come to think of it, that's pretty much what Main Street has become.

Posted: Fri Jan 18th, 2008 03:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
110th Post
Roger

Mana: 

PvtClewell wrote: 

Or maybe when pedestrians are trying to cross.

Especially when your looking for the traffic coming from the other direction.:D

Posted: Sat Jan 19th, 2008 04:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
111th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

I cant wait for the new season of NASCAR to start. Im going crazy without it. At least its not to long til the Superbowl so Ill have something to keep me busy for a while anyway. NASCAR withdrawl is hard.

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2008 05:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
112th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

“NASCAR withdrawl is hard.”

Dixie Girl, This gets my award for “Understatement of 2008”, and it is only January!  Still, I know it can’t be beat…..

Hey, Y’All!  I have an idea!  Let’s turn Roger into a NASCAR fan!  Since NASCAR is going international at a fairly good pace, we will be doing him a favor – he will be all advent-guard cool in England - cutting edge and all that.

It can be a three-stage procedure:

First, we teach him the proud history of NASCAR – how it evolved from The (Old Confederate) Deep South during prohibition, when Southern moonshine runners souped-up their stock cars to out-run the law, then went on to race these moon-shine-running-stock cars on dirt tracks throughout The South for sheer joy and glory.  And now NASCAR is the fastest-growing sport in the US, and perhaps the world. (NASCAR = North American Stock Car Racing Association.  It's drivers are now some of the best-conditioned athletes in the world, thanks to Mark Martin.  Prior to Mark Martin, it was "Non-Atheletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks").

Second, we get him the “Dale” 6-disc DVD set.  All he needs watch is the documentary, “Dale”, and the 2000 Winston 500.  Being the strongly individual seaman and history-buff that Roger is, he will surely understand after seeing these two DVDs. 

Third, we find him a driver.  Once he’s got a driver, he cannot escape the thrall.  

As for finding  a driver, with the influx of open-wheelers, perhaps Roger might like one of the new, more esoteric (where NASCAR is concerned) ones.  I’m thinking Patrick Carpentier or Dario Franchiti.

Dario, because I think, while not British, he is from over the pond (Scottish, I think).  And Patrick, because I am falling in love with him, but don’t have room on my driver’s dance card, so I have to find another fan to vicariously pull for him through ….

Think of it, it's the least we can do!  Roger has turned us on to these wonderful, artistic, "mini's";  we can turn him on to NASCAR in return!

Last edited on Mon Jan 21st, 2008 05:42 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2008 06:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
113th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Been to Baseball, didn't understand that.
Football, Didn't understand that either.
NASCAR What can be complicated about motorsport???? lol.
I'm all ears.
Roger

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2008 06:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
114th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Just done some initial research;) and I'm afraid Dario Franchitti is out. Born in Edinburgh, ok so far, interests include supporting Glasgow Celtic FC :(

But the plus side is you've got me looking:shock:

Roger

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2008 07:07 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
115th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Perhaps you might like one of the "classics" - a driver born and raised in North Carolina, or one of the Texas or Virginia Boys.

For a beginner to go with a Southern driver, well, that would be grasping onto the sport by it's roots.  Many of these, anymore, are older now, and on their way to retiring as drivers, but you really can't lose with a Southern-born Driver.

My favorite new-comer is Kyle Busch: That Boy is going to rock the sport, but he is young (22 or 23).  Not Southern, but really a champion in the making.

I am sure there can be much help from others tomorrow.  Mr. Joe is extremely knowledgable, as well as a true fan.  Pvt Clewell is more sardonic about the sport, but also one of the most knowledgable people on this board.  Kj is a long-time true and knowledgable fan.  YoungLobo is one of my favorite NASCAR friends here, and his roots in the sport run deep, he's got the knowedge and the history running in his veins.  Dixie Girl is a real Up-and-Comer...

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2008 10:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
116th Post
Roger

Mana: 

I've just got back from the garage where the brakes were getting fixed on my car. Whilst I was waiting I had a glance through Autosport magazine. Three pages in guess who was featured in an article? Yep, Dario Franchitti !! I'd never even heard of hime 'til today and he's cropped up twice. It must be an omen.

Roger.

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2008 06:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
117th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

I say while we turn Roger into a NASCAR fan we turn him into a REDNECK. Being a REDNECK is the best thing that could ever happen to a person!!! I have tried to watch baseball and I dont get it either and Im American. Roger could you explain Polo and Rugby to me? Ive seen it on tv but I dont understand them. I think Dale Jr. should be your driver Roger. He will have a better chance at winning since hes with another team.

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2008 06:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
118th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Growing up in a small village in North Yorkshire with no shop or much else for that matter besides a pub you could say I'm half way there.In fact city dwellers here probably would call us that.
Polo is a sport for people of a much higher social standing than me. Rugby I like, but which one Union or League? Actually having just thought about it probably not Union lol.

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2008 06:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
119th Post
Marie

Mana: 

Roger,

You are welcome to join me in backing Sam Hornish, Jr. this year.  He raced Indy for several years, won the Indy 500 last year, and is driving NASCAR this year.

He grew up just down the road from me in NW Ohio, worked in the office of his Daddy's trucking company, and his mother wanted him to be an accountant and take over the family bidness.  

Married his high school sweetheart and the locals in her hometown still refer to him as "that race car driver that married the Leichty girl"

Small town America at its finest.

Regards from NW Ohio,

Jana

Posted: Mon Jan 21st, 2008 07:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
120th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Jana,

Your making this more difficult:D 

Current time is 11:35 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2305 seconds (15% database + 85% PHP). 27 queries executed.