Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Whats a Parent to do?? - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Apr 25th, 2007 06:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Ok I am mad as heck and need to vent here.  In a recent thread ON the VA. Tech. incident , it was mentioned that copycats would come. Well my daughters Middle  School (grades 5-8) seems to have become a target. Yesterday my childs school was put in lockdown , due to the fact that a bomb threat was found in the restroom.

Now the High School (separate building) has had 2 bomb threats before the VT incident and I am sure it was just the younger sibling of one of the HS students.  But the school is giving out zero Info and sent a note home with student but mine didnt get one cause there werent enough copies.

OK am I crazy for being upset have talked to other parents and they are like no big deal .  My daughter was totally freaked , didnt want to return to school today , wanted to be homeschooled , ect.   Some of this may have been my falt due to the fact that she asked why the flags were half staff last week following the VT incident and I explained to her what happened and how she should react if anything happened , pointing out how to the kids that climbed out the window had a good idea or baricading the door , and how to get away from someone that has ahold of  you, wanted my kid to have knowledge and have a fighting chance  if something should occur.  I am sure that what we talked about is some of the reason for the panic .  My wife is upset with me thinks I made a bad situation worse.

What are the opions of the parents out there ??

For background my Daughter is 11 and is slightly nieve for her age she believes in dragons and the like .

As a parent I would like to Jerk a knot in all of these stupid peoples tails , from this cho guy on.

the bible says the end times will be bad , not looking foward to that at all

Posted: Wed Apr 25th, 2007 08:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Younglobo,

As a parent of a 5 1/2 year old, I hafta say I agree with you 100%!!

First, I'd be livid with the school for failing to adequatley communicae the events at the school. To say they didn't have enough copies is no excuse at all. In light of "not" having enough copies, just how/what did they propose to use to notify the parents of kids without copies??

Second, your daughter asked a question about the flags, and you honestly answered her. I applaud you for not lying or covering up the truth. In being honest, you have maintained the trust of your child.

Third, you also told her what she should do if she's ever in that kind of situation. Again, I applaud the way you prepared your child. Should'nt a parent tell a child what to do to escape a burning building??...Or what to do if approached by strangers??

Fourth, I am glad she still believes in dragons!! For an 11 year old to have such beleifs is refreshing to hear, as that means the innocence of youth is not yet completely lost in this country!

Younglobo, give your wife and daughter a hug and tell them that you love them!! Family is the most important thing we have, and the best gift that we can give them is our time and attention!!

May God bless!!!

Albert Sailhorst

Posted: Wed Apr 25th, 2007 08:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Albert

Thanks for the comeback , felt alot better after i vented kind of like screaming from a mountian top.

Told one parent I had warned , my daughter what to do and they looked at me like i lost my mind , guess I am a realist, want my kid to be prepared.

on the innocence of youth , yep being a kid today is a big change from back in the 70's early 80's when i was a Kid the biggest thing I was worried about was what time bugs bunny was on and keepin that fudge sickle from melting.

Last edited on Wed Apr 25th, 2007 08:44 pm by younglobo

Posted: Thu Apr 26th, 2007 03:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
ole

Mana: 

There was a time when I'd argue with mine over who had it tougher as a child. I'm beginning to think they were right. After all, I only had to walk to school through blizzards -- uphill, both ways. They had drugs and gangs and Lord only knows what. Nowdays we have predators and freaks.

Lobo: You did what you had to do. One thing we overlook is how scary it must be to school children -- especially the younger ones. Do what you can to make her feel safe. And hug her a lot.

Ole

Posted: Thu Apr 26th, 2007 03:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
David White

Mana: 

If that was the worst thing about public schools in America did we should be so lucky.

Today  in Texas a bill there  is a bill before the legislature that will allow principals to fire non-performing teachers after three years, currently Principals cannot get rid of teachers except during their first three years of prohibitionary employment, after that three years they are tenured.  This bill would allow them to be fired during their tenure after three straight years of bad performance.

Are you kidding me, I wouldn't even last one year of poor performance on my job as would most people outside the teat of public education.  Don't get me started on how education policies are hurting America and tying the hands of good teachers and administrators.

Posted: Thu Apr 26th, 2007 10:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Widow

Mana: 

Younglobo, good for you.  By talking to your daughter truthfully, you reassured her in ways she isn't aware of.  First, that Daddy loves her and thinks her questions are serious.  Second, with your self-defense instructions, she will develop self-confidence and learn how to think ahead before problems arise -- any kind of problem, just just lockdowns.

The best way to prepare a child for adulthood is to show your trust and confidence in just such ways as you did.  Ignoring the future is no protection for a youngster.

Patty

Posted: Fri Apr 27th, 2007 10:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Widow

Mana: 

younglobo saidTold one parent I had warned , my daughter what to do and they looked at me like i lost my mind
That parent had a blank expression on his face.  You interpreted it one way, but may I suggest another reason for that blank look?

It's possible he was just pausing to consider what you'd just said.  Sort of like shifting into neutral.

So his look may not have been hostile, just pensive.  Of course I don't know what he then said to you.  Maybe he said "Thanks, you've just given me an idea."  Or maybe not.  Either way, you can be sure that he was listening to you.

Patty

Posted: Sat Apr 28th, 2007 12:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Jimtno

Mana: 

:(

younglobo,

My kids are now young adults. (well our oldest is about to approach the age where young people cant trust you any more -30!).. But I remeber when they were growing up. Back as teenagers in the 1990s (the good old days as our Steve says smilingly), the only thing we had to worry about was whether or not the girls would come on to the guys!!! And Achol was an issue.

Today,  and not to scrare you, but I would not want to be a parent. Today there were TWO bomb scares at the local high school and one at the JR hi. It is getting contagious. And I worry about our youth.  THey are more worried about there 15 minutes of fame, then hitting the books. And CHo IS NOT TO be model after.!! How do you convey THAT to your teenager? That his way  is not the right way?

I pray for people with young children like yours...

But I am now concerned realy concerned!

Hang in there. Keep the lines of communication open. You have just strenghten the most important bond between and parent and child out side of love. And that is trust. GOd bless you for your courage. You did the RIGHT THING!
Jim

Current time is 09:34 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1639 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 26 queries executed.