Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Each States Part in the Civil War. - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Apr 27th, 2007 01:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Jimtno

Mana: 

Hi All,

With my ongong research into the men from New Jersey at Gettysburg, the thought occurred to me... Have any of you looked into your home sstate and the part it played not only in the whole CW, but an individual battle?

IIRC, almost every state that was represented in the CW, is represented here.

I would love to here even in a general sense of what you know of your home stats part.

New Jerseys part for such a little state, I am finding to be incredible. Its men fought in every major battle of the CW, with the excpetion of a couple in the west. Sent 88000 in all arms, suffered almost 40% overall casualties, (That includes KIA, MWIA,WIA  and MC).....

So I am interested.. To hear every one elses state. And if you havent done it, may I exhort you to!

Jim :)

Posted: Fri Apr 27th, 2007 02:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
HankC

Mana: 

I toted up the units by state in the ANV at Gettysburg once.

Virginia had a few more infantry regiments than Georgia (Longstreet's 2 attacking divisions on 7/2 were half Georgian) and North Carolina.

2/3 of the artillery were from the Old Dominion and all but 1 or 2 cavalry regiments...

HankC

Posted: Fri Apr 27th, 2007 05:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
ole

Mana: 

Can't help you there, Jim. My turf didn't become a state until 1889. Grandfather's (born 1859) was brand new and could field only 3 batteries and less than a dozen regiments.

Ole

Posted: Fri Apr 27th, 2007 08:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
calcav

Mana: 

My home state of California provided over 17,000 men for the war. I know that Susan Sweet has the lowdown on all those fellows that served in the west so I wont send a post on them. My particular intrest is with the California 100 and the California Battalion. Five companies (507men) that were the only organized group of Californians to fight in the east. They became companies A, E, F, L and M of the 2nd Massachusetts Cavalry.

I was so fascinated with them during my research that I ended up writing a book about them. Bear Flag and Bay State in the Civil War: The Californians of the Second Massachusetts Cavalry. I also wrote an article about the commanding officer which can be found in the articles section here at CWI. It is called Gentle Warrior: Colonel Charles R. Lowell, Jr.

Tom

Last edited on Fri Apr 27th, 2007 08:49 pm by calcav

Posted: Sat Apr 28th, 2007 10:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Tom is so right about Cal 100 which we in California are so proud of, it was said even their horses climbed trees. 

California also had a strong southern leaning .  Many people in the state had connections to the South.  California had a number of men go south to fight for the Confederacy.  One group went with Albert Sidney Johnston when he left Los Angles and headed east to Texas to join the war.  

Thomas Starr King helped to keep California in the Union as I mentioned in another thread and for this he was honored with his statute being placed in the Halls of Congress , one of two Californians.  Won't get on my soapbox here about him being removed . 

He is personally responsible for raising huge sums of money for the Sanitation Society .  $1,235,000 was raised in California about 1/4 of the total contribution of all the states . 

California's gold and Nevada's silver helped to fund the War effort  in the east

Sibley and his troops were headed to California hoping to capture the harbor at
San Pedro  to use to break the blockade in the east.

Military installations were established in Wilmington and Visalia to keep the Southern supporters from taking the state and taking it into the Confederacy.

Fort Point , Acatrez  and Angel Island in San Francisco were put in place to protect San Francisco ffrom the raid of  Confederate ships.  Don't laugh , think CSS Shenandoah

Men from California Column took part in the battle of Picachio Pass in Arizonia.  These men under Carlton continued on and occupied Fort Union in Northern New Mexco for the rest of the war. 

California Native Mounted Battalion was recurited in the Santa Barbara area.  These men were the militay force in the state.   Several Companies stationed at the Drum Barracks in Wilmington. 

Last edited on Sat Apr 28th, 2007 02:17 pm by susansweet

Posted: Sat Apr 28th, 2007 10:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Last edited on Sat Apr 28th, 2007 10:03 am by susansweet

Posted: Sun Apr 29th, 2007 01:03 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Florida didn't have as large a population as some Southern states, but did contribute troops to the Southern effort, even a few to the Northern side!  Five thousand Floridians are believed to have died in the war.

One important point of interest about Florida's contribution was that it suppiled substantial food, livestock and fish to the Confederacy, especially for troops  fighting  in the Deep South.

Northern Florida was not only a vital source of food, but also salt. Salt was used in those times to preserve food because there was as yet no widely available refrigeration. Northern Florida had major salt works where sea water was evaporated into salt.

What hampered Florida's contribution from being even greater was the lack of transportation, most notably a railroad that connected Florida with Georgia and points north. Florida did have a few railroads that criss crossed the state, but none went into Georgia at that time.

Florida's long coastline provided ports for naval operations, notably the Union's efforts to maintain a blockade of the entire Confederate coastline. Many captured blockade runner vessels were taken to Key West and held there for the duration of the war. Key West even today celebrates this part of their history and just this weekend  held its annual "mock battle" of ships and boats in which crews throw fruit and veggies at one another, following strict rules of engagement such as each fruit must be hand thrown.

Relatively few Civil War land battles actually took place in the state. The largest and bloodiest was the Battle of Olustee, won by the Confederacy but to little advantage.

Posted: Sun Apr 29th, 2007 07:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
missourianconfederate

Mana: 

I'm originally from Georgia but I know more about Missouri.

Missouri had some where between 22 Union Regiments (Of Various Duties*Infantry,Sharpshooters,Arterelly,Calvary, Engineers), 17 Confederate Regiments(Various duties).

Missouri ranked 8th in population for era of the Civil War.

Several commanders from both side where stationed in Missouri.. Mainly St. Louis Arsenal.

Ranked 3rd in Bloody Skirmishes.

One of the few states that had 2 standing governments.

Was a key state to both sides... Producing large sums of corn, hemp, iron...

Thats basically all I can get off the top of my head...

Unless you want to know the famous commanders..of either side...

MOCONFED

Posted: Mon Apr 30th, 2007 01:57 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
ole

Mana: 

MoConfed:

Eighth in population: Nationwide? I guess that could be, with both St. Louis and KC and a number of fair-sized hamlets along the rivers. OK.

Ole:D

Posted: Mon Apr 30th, 2007 03:16 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
missourianconfederate

Mana: 

Thats what I read from the States Records... But I don't know... St. Louis had a lot of Dutch Immigrants... between 1850-1879... so ya... there was 20,000 plus people in Jackson andCass, counties in 1862... How I know is because of Order #11..Which Evacuated those counties and 2 others...due to Quantrill and his raiders...used to hide in... LOL Gave them yanks a good fight though...

Missouri was one helluva state... And Yes Nation wide...

The Missouri Brigade under Sterling Price and Francis Cockrell where well known for the siege of Vicksburg and also Kennesaw Mountain.

But I dunno... And Missourian Confederates after the war where treated worst then the slaves...the black people of missouri...idk how i can make that sound any better... but they had more rights then the confederates of missouri... the Confeds...didn't get to vote again till like 72 or 73.

My families farm was on a yankee supply route and my GGrandpa sat on his front porch shooting yankees with his henry,shotgun, and spencer rifle and his 5 or 6 Dragoons... So I dunno... I think I still got the spencer...somewhere..

But I'm done with my ranting...

MOCONFED

Posted: Mon Apr 30th, 2007 05:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Ole I found a website with a list of the 1860 census by state , it also list how many free and how many slave. Very interesting where the population was then.  http://www.ageod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2256

Posted: Mon Apr 30th, 2007 01:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

That is a very interesting web site, Susan. I didn't know that South Carolina had more slaves than free population. In fact, it was the ONLY state to have that proportion of slave to free. What an interesting factoid!

Posted: Mon Apr 30th, 2007 03:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
HankC

Mana: 

UVa has a web site with voluminous census data and tremendous mapping capabaility...

http://fisher.lib.virginia.edu/collections/stats/histcensus/php/start.php?year=V1860

Posted: Mon Apr 30th, 2007 05:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Another amazing site just filled with information that would take a long time to mine. It even has statistics down to the county level. Thanks, Hank, for the heads up.

Posted: Mon Apr 30th, 2007 06:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

So much information so little time.  I need more time !!!

Posted: Wed May 2nd, 2007 12:58 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

http://www.civilwararchive.com/regim.htm

Dyers details every Regiment mustered into Service for the Union; one of those priceless links.

Missourianconfederate, Missouri had something like 80-90 Inf Regts w/ the US and IIRC something like half that w/ the CS.

Every CS state contributed at least one Regiment to the Union w/ some contributing considerably more.

Posted: Wed May 2nd, 2007 01:47 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
ole

Mana: 

Missourianconfederate, Missouri had something like 80-90 Inf Regts w/ the US and IIRC something like half that w/ the CS.

Johan: Recollect that the butternut boys were less than half, but pretty close.

Ole

Posted: Wed May 2nd, 2007 02:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
missourianconfederate

Mana: 

Meh... Guess we get different Info...But I'll take your word for it all...

I do believe you...

Posted: Wed May 2nd, 2007 04:47 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

?

Last edited on Fri Jul 20th, 2007 08:46 pm by Johan Steele

Posted: Wed May 2nd, 2007 04:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

MissourianConfederate; I bellieve the 22 & 17 reffered specifically to the Vicksburg Campaign... but don't count onme.  Too many 12+ hour shifts and too much scotch of late.:)

Current time is 06:30 pmPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3473 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 26 queries executed.