Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Each States Part in the Civil War. - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed May 2nd, 2007 09:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
missourianconfederate

Mana: 

Johans... I probably was remembering Vicksburg Campaign...

Well Now that I think of it there where several Regular and Illregular(Gurriellas) In Missouri so I do see where the 442 odd some comulative regiments (Both Sides.)

Well I got the Battle of Lone Jack this Weekend... So I gotta train my recruits.... Apparently my company isn't going...so I'm incharge of our 2-4 guys... So I'm apparently acting Corporal...

Posted: Thu May 3rd, 2007 01:51 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Hey now, Corporal isn't all that bad... none of the extra drill required of a Sergeant and you are in charge of details instead of being the working stiff of said detail aaand you get that pair of snazzy stripes that make the ladies think you are actually important. :)

Plus you work for a living so you'll never be mistaken for an officer and I'm even willing to wager you knew both of your parents.:D

Welcome to the ranks of the NCO.

Posted: Thu May 3rd, 2007 03:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
missourianconfederate

Mana: 

LOL Thanks there Johans... But I'm acting... Corporal its not permeant... so what ever...and I am adopted... I know my biodad...live with biomom and stepdad...*Yankee* lol...Hates the fact I'm a reb. But whatever floats the boat...aight.

But ya... I don't get no stripes... But ya.. I'm actually a floater..Not the terd...but you get what I mean... All the recruits are my hs buddies... Who thought it be cool...

But thanks for the warm reception...

Hopefully you saved me some treats...

MOCONFED

Posted: Thu May 3rd, 2007 06:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
Jimtno

Mana: 

:)

Just a quick moment to say thanks to all of you for your kind replies! Great thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim

Posted: Thu May 10th, 2007 08:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
39th Miss. Walker

Mana: 

Well..... We (SC) started the whole mess. Got our butts kicked and our homes burned, but went down like men in glorious defeat!!!! ;)

Posted: Tue Jul 17th, 2007 06:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
Mannie1952

Mana: 

Jim,

Recently my wife and I relocated to Maryland, prior to that I'd lived my whole life in Michigan.

I can't look at a bronze 12 pounder, brass button, belt plate, etc. without thinking of the vast copper ranges of Michigan's upper penninsula. The copper country provided much of the raw material that went into the hardware of that war.

Mannie

Posted: Fri Jul 20th, 2007 03:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
connyankee

Mana: 

Another great thread.  I've lived on CT for the last 30 years or so, uh but I weren't born here.  I grew up in New Jersey, uh but I weren't born there either.  Actually, I was born on Lawngisland, New York.  I guess it's only natural that I take particular note of the histories of these three states and their monuments and markers placed here and there in this land.

Of course, there are no CW battlefields in these parts (thank God) but what we do have are guns - lots of guns were manufactured in the area.  If you happen by, please do visit the Springfield Armory in Springfield Mass.  I'm not a gun nut, other than what is necessary to understand the war and how it was fought,  but Springfield has a massive and interesting gun collection.  Due to space limitations they only display a part of what they have.  The other big collections I've seen are at Chickamauga Visitor Center and Gettysburg.  I always look at the nameplates on the guns and find that many were made in the towns hereabouts where I live.  The Armory never could produce enough rifle muskets so they contracted out to private companies in the area.

Of CT troops, the 27th Infantry had a tough time of it.  They were a 9-month regiment formed in New Haven in Oct of '62.  They were originally issued Austrian-made muskets and some were told if the rifles didn't fire to use the bayonet.  Nice thing to tell your men when they are about to pitch in.  These guys lost a third of their number at Fredericksburg.  They were surrounded at Chancellorsville and captured - save two companies that were detached for other duty.  At Gettysburg, they were, I think, the smallest regiment in the AoP and were sent into the Wheatfield where their Colonel (Merwin) and Brigade Commander (Zook) were killed.  One account says that on the 3rd day, they mustered about 15 men.  They were mustered out of the army at the end of July with their regimental flag.

Also at Gettysburg were the equally misfortuned 17th infantry who, while attempting to relieve PA reserves at Blocher's/Barlow's Knoll, turned and bolted to the rear when a Confederate shell burst in the face of the 17th's Lt. Col Fowler which in the words of LBG Gary Kross, helped start a chain of events that led the entire Union line to break down right-to-left and retreat through the town - all because one Lt. Col lost his head in battle.

At Antietam, the 11th CT had the misfortune of being one of the first units to try crossing Burnside's Bridge.  The 8th CT were hit in the broadsides by A.P. Hill, late in the day.

I thought I'd mention also the 1st CT Heavy Artillary, since many of the pictures you see of people manning the seige guns around Richmond and Petersburg are of the 1st.  I was mightily impressed when I visited Fort Brady on the James River and to take a photograph from the exact same spot as the photo that I am sure you are familiar with showing the 1st posing with a line of parrot rifles.  That was awsome!  Yep, everything is here - even the bombproof off to the right (big 'ol tree growing out of it though).

Last, but not least (weary),  I got myself wrapped up in the story of the sub Hunley so I visited Charleston a couple of times and even attended the funeral of the last crew.  It is someting that I will never forget.  The CT connection, of course, is one Ezra Chamberlain of the 7th CT whose personal ID medallion was found on the sub.  Nobody knows for sure how or why it got there and it will probably remain a mystery.  Chamberlain was reported killed on Morris Island in 1863, buried there and most likely reburied at Beaufort, S.C.  There is a gravestone in the family plot for Ezra at Old Westfield Cemetery in Danielson (Killingly), CT.  Being an inquistive beast of sorts, I wandered out there one Sunday and located it.  Hint:  look for the family plot of "Miller" and you can find it in the old section.  State archeologists have been there to poke around and satisfied themselves that there is no body in the grave.  It was not at all uncommon for a family to place a family marker for a member lost in the war even if they could not retrieve a body.  Good stuff to talk about.  Hope I didn't leave you sleepy.

connyankee

Current time is 04:07 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2986 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 26 queries executed.