Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

What is the CWPT Thinking - Civil War Preservation - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
You have chosen to ignore indy19th. click Here to view this post

Posted: Mon May 7th, 2007 04:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

David , thanks for the information.  Very different type battlefield but I did enjoy visiting there  Have they restored the visitors center ?

Posted: Tue May 8th, 2007 03:46 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
Basecat

Mana: 

Evening all.

I only have one question.  Who donated money to save the property??  The members of the CWPT.  And yet, no word to the members about this project and our thoughts on it??  Never considered until after the fact.  I guess it is easier to deal with a Bike club than their own members of their organization.

I have been a member of APCWS/CWPT for 10 years now, and I am tired of hearing how the members mean so much to the preservation of Battlefield ground.  Last I checked, Winchester is a nice sized town, and there are plenty of places for folks to ride their bikes.  And yet, this subject was never mentioned in the many missives that arrive here in the mail.

IMHO, they continue to do a bad job communicating with their members, and I know why they did not say anything about this to the members, as the majority would have said no freaking way should a bike trail be placed on Hallowed Ground.

I understand Javal's point of working with the locals on deals such as this, but it would be nice if members of the organization had some say in the matter.  But we don't.  I guess our only function is to hand over money and once done to keep our mouths shut.

Regards from the Garden State,

Steve Basic

Posted: Tue May 8th, 2007 01:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
39th Miss. Walker

Mana: 

Actually I did.

Posted: Tue May 8th, 2007 08:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I have always been an Andrew Jackson fan.  But the reason I went was actually to one up a friend  Isn't that terrible?  She made a big deal about how you can't get there, that they tried and couldn't find it , on and on and on.  this is my teaching partner of years and years who doesn't have an historical clue .  Did you know according to her photo album Andrew Jackson was a Confederate general.  yeah I know I called Stonewall Andrew about a month ago on here.  Anyway I knew I had to see the battlefield after her histronics about how terrible it was trying to get there.  I also had to see it because it WAS  the BATTLE OF NEW ORLEANS . 

David White said it is back.  I am glad to hear that.

Susan

Posted: Fri May 11th, 2007 02:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
David White

Mana: 

Susan:

Our Roundtable shares expenses with the New Orleans RT to bring speakers down here so most of our speakers have just visited NOLA when they come to Austin.  More than one speaker has said the VC @ Chalmette is back and even better than before.

Posted: Fri May 11th, 2007 02:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

David thanks so much for the information.  Always good to hear good news.  The visitors center did need upgrading .  It was so stuck in the 50's and the plumbing didn't always work.  They did have a good film to explain the battlefield though. 

Posted: Fri May 11th, 2007 05:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
HankC

Mana: 

FWIW, touring battlefields on bicycle is my preferred method: speedy, cheap, easy to stop and quiet...

HankC

Posted: Mon May 14th, 2007 05:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
trench nerd

Mana: 

Bicycle path construction;

Attachment: 3WinMarch.jpg (Downloaded 68 times)

Posted: Tue May 15th, 2007 02:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

that doesn't look like the other pictures for sure.

Posted: Tue May 15th, 2007 02:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
34th Post
HankC

Mana: 

trench nerd wrote: Bicycle path construction;

taken where and when?

Posted: Thu May 17th, 2007 12:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
35th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Well, there's more ahead....

Adams County Bike Trail System to Include Roads Inside Gettysburg Battlefield

Posted: Thu May 17th, 2007 01:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
36th Post
39th Miss. Walker

Mana: 

Taken a couple months ago at 3rd Winchester. Keep in mind a normal city/ suburban sidewalk is 5 feet. These are 10-12'.

Posted: Thu May 17th, 2007 03:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
37th Post
HankC

Mana: 

What are these images of?

http://www.civilwar.org/news/3win/trail1.jpg

http://www.civilwar.org/news/3win/trail2.jpg

http://www.civilwar.org/news/3win/trail3.jpg

Posted: Mon Jun 11th, 2007 03:01 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
38th Post
localyokel

Mana: 

Hi, first time posting here. As a resident of Winchester and member of CWPT (new member) who is familiar with the site and what the local bike club is doing, please let me fell in some blanks.

First of all, the local bike club is not involved in the layout or construction of the gravel pathways through the site. That is the CWPT. The bike club is working to take back the foot paths that snake through the wooded areas from the 4 wheelers. They are recovering about 4 miles of what will become single track hiking / biking trails. Since they have been riding the site and documenting / taking photos of the 4 wheeler riders, I have seen less and less with every visit. They have also been cleaning up some of the trash on the site and marking these trails for others to use. They are doing this with no other aim except to help the CWPT preserve the site for all to use, learn from and enjoy.

From a local perspective, this path system will be one of the best things to happen to this area in a very long time. Here's the background... Winchester, though in a beautiful rural setting, does not have any running / bike paths where a family can go out and ride together without fear of being run off the road. This site will give families that opportunity and the local community is buzzing in a very positive way about that. Understanding that this first and foremost a sacred site, I understand many people's feelings about how this should NOT be the way to preserve a battlefield...

Let me jump back just 1 year for the sad truth. The 3rd Battle fo Winchester site was a haven for 4 wheelers and relic hunters. It was also a dumping ground for used appliances (many of which are still there). Not to mention the parties that were happening down on the bridge across Red Bud Run. The site was (and is still recovering from) cross-crossed with 4 wheeler trails. I understand the horror from seeing the photos of digging equipment and heavy machinery. Before judging, please visit. After only a few months, it has really recovered. The area shown in the photo had to be totally "fixed" as it was in a large field where local teens would come out and do doughnuts. It was in shambles. There were 2 small pits where they pulled shale out of the ground to make the road bed, but they have been backfilles and are invisible.

In terms of then vs. now, now is worlds better. There are now people out using the site which will make relic hunters less bold and more cautious... There are bikers to help prevent the 4 wheelers from causing more destruction... There are families hiking and riding on the paths that may have never visited a battlefield before. Once the interperative signs (30+) are installed, some of these people may be moved to read and learn while on the site.  A few of them may actually be moved enough to become CWPT donors and members (as I was). If we want people to learn about the historci battles that took place on this site, if we want people to be reverent and honor those killed, then they must be educated. This site, In my opinion, will help do this.

One final note, there was 1 big donation from an individual that went toward making this happen.

If any of you are ever in the area and want to visit the site with a local, drop me an e-mail. I'd love to share some of the area's rich history either on foot or bike!

Thanks

Posted: Mon Jun 11th, 2007 03:07 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
39th Post
localyokel

Mana: 

One more thing, I believe Hank asked what the photos posted previously were... They are 3 photos of the packed gravel path through the site.

Posted: Mon Jun 11th, 2007 03:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
40th Post
39th Miss. Walker

Mana: 

All of the money did not come from one individual. Check with the ABP of the NPS. I was told a large chunk came from them and that they, the ABP, was upset when they saw how the "paths were being constructed.

My whold point in all this is there are ways to do things. This was done without the notification of even the members of the CWPT. Archaeology was not done nor was historic mapping done. In addition I personally felt the project was a bit overboard. Add to all this the attitude I recieved from the CWPT, YOU WERE TRESSPASSING! and I think you can see where I am coming from.

If any organization wants to do a project like this on preserved land then they should follow all the good practices as to design and archaeology, not sneak a project like this in under the radar. This is no different than the sewer lines at Harpers Ferry.

Current time is 04:00 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4490 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 35 queries executed.