Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

What is the CWPT Thinking - Civil War Preservation - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Jun 11th, 2007 05:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
41st Post
localyokel

Mana: 

I follow you and not being involved in the CWPT when this was being planned, I am in the dark as to how it was planned out and what archaeological input was used. I do, however, have a high degree of certainty that one individual donated $500,000 to the CWPT and that it was used to fund the trails at 3rd Winchester. Since I am out on the site at least once per week, I can provide some photos if anyone wants to see how things are progressing. Hope this info helps fill in the blanks.

Posted: Wed Jun 13th, 2007 05:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
42nd Post
Art B.

Mana: 

Greetings LY, 39th MW, and All...

Thanks for the clarification and elucidation. The full story is yet to come out, but I think everyone here is helping show all the angles. It's heartening to hear of a large donation from one person for this project as it lessens the burden of CWPT; however, all donating parties need to receive credit.

Thanks to the Winchester bicyclers who will, in a way, provide custodial and security services to a good degree. I hope the plaques survive retaliation from the 4-wheelers. Perhaps local law enforcement could add the area to their nocturnal patrol list since hikers and riders can do the job in daylight.

CWPT's communication and public relations channels broke down on this one, though. Perhaps they were waiting for the successful, total completion of the entire project before announcing it; perhaps they should have at least hinted that some positive goings-on in Winchester III were progressing and they'll have "film at 11." I would sincerely hope that there was no stipulation in the large-scale donor's "contract" to keep the trails under wraps; sure, if he/she wanted to be anonymous, fine, but let news of the paths be spread across the land. Also, for the Trust to have treated an eye-witness the shameful way they did, that's not going to win any friends to "our" side.

In time we'll "know the rest of the story" [a la Paul Harvey]. Until then, it's time to be grateful for what is being improved and for some of the problems being solved.

Art "On A Bicycle Built For Two" B.

Posted: Thu Jun 14th, 2007 07:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
43rd Post
localyokel

Mana: 

Hi guys,

One other piece of information about how the Winchester local bike club has been helping preserve battlefields is their annual Kernstown Battlefield ride. This is from 2005, but it is still ongoing.

This is from the KBA Gazette (Kernstown Battlefield Association newsletter):
[size=Preservation Bike Ride 2005][size=]
[size=The Fifth Annual Kernstown Preservation Bike Ride has been scheduled for Sunday, October 9, 2005. This benefit is directed by The Winchester Wheelmen cycling group and raises over $1,000 each year. ]Mapped routes of 25 and 55 miles are provided.
[size=Those interested should contact Mike Perry at 540-662-1510 or visit the group’s website at http://www.winchesterwheelmen.org]

Posted: Sun Aug 5th, 2007 12:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
44th Post
1amishman

Mana: 

Here's a link to photo's of the battlefield in question...

http://picasaweb.google.com/CWPTBattlefields/ThirdWinchesterOpequon

Posted: Mon Aug 6th, 2007 01:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
45th Post
localyokel

Mana: 

Great photos of the site! Hope you enjoyed.

More news... 3 people have been arrested for riding 4 wheelers on the site. Hopefully there will be less and less of this problem  as more people visit and more arrests are made.

Posted: Fri Sep 7th, 2007 03:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
46th Post
ArtorBart

Mana: 

Those of you in the CWPT may already have read in the latest "Hallowed Ground" about the official opening of the 3rd Winchester bike paths that we whooped and hollered about in the springtime.

Seems the locals are happy. Maybe we learned that to make an omelette, some eggs have to get scrambled first. The land doesn't look half-bad, but there's the lingering doubt of continued success and good will in the area due to the antics of the 4-wheelers. A 10-speed bike won't take much abuse from a 4-wheeler ATV. Does the bike club have law enforcement/ticketing status? [I'd bet they don't].

Hopefully CWPT will keep up with news of that specific project.

ArtorBart

Current time is 09:57 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1690 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 26 queries executed.