Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Civil War "Buffs" - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sun Dec 24th, 2006 04:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
42nd Post
Homeschool_Teen_01

Mana: 

I don't remember when I finally became a civil war buff.  I've always read books about wars and enjoyed them greatly.  I believe the real reason I started getting deeper into the civil war was because of Robert E. Lee.  I just love how he handled all the situations in his life in a biblical manner.

Eventually I just started getting deeper and deeper.  Now I try to get my hands on every civil war book I can.  Now, compared to some people, I'm not even close to being a civil war buff.  That is probably due to my schoolwork, which prevents me from visiting all the battlefields I want to see.

So I don't know if you could consider me a civil war buff, though I like to think of myself as one.:cool:

CJ

Posted: Sun Dec 24th, 2006 05:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
43rd Post
ole

Mana: 

All you need, CJ, is the desire. Everyone has different means and availability of time. Just keep the desire and you will keep coming back, no matter where your career path takes you.

Ole

Posted: Wed Dec 27th, 2006 08:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
44th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

What was that first moment that led to an interest in the Civil War?  I have to look hard to remember.  I remember reading a book on the Gettysburg Address as a youth but I don’t really remember being all that interested.  At the time I think I was more intrigued with Star Wars and World War Two.  I remember well admiring; actually I think it was more awe and hero worship  of the Legion members who had served.  They were men who dropped their lives for four years to go off to foreign lands far from home to battle an evil the likes fiction has a hard time inventing.

So where did my fascination with the Civil War begin?  I don’t think it was a s youth, but in college my fascination was still with World War Two and the Mongol Conquests of Asia.  My father asked me to see if I could find some information on family members who had served.  I was very little help.  I needed an American history class for my major and the chair of the department was offering a 2 credit winter coarse on the Civil War.  Professor Lybarger was a man who gave simple but poignant lectures with only one or two text books and a lot of suggested readings.  The text was the very readable Battle Cry of Freedom and the Ken Burns Video series.  We were given several options for our final, one was to pick a very specific portion of the war and research it or to pick a mistake or error in Battle Cry of Freedom or the Ken Burns Series.  Others chose specific bits of the Ken Burns series and picked it apart.    I chose the firearms of the era and learned a lot from William Edwards, Civil War Guns. That class and that book started a passion in me but it was a slow starting seed.

Years later while stationed in South Carolina I developed a taste for Maurices BBQ and through a strange happenstance found a young lady working at the South Carolina Historical Society.  She introduced me to some microfiche of period newspapers and letters.  I enjoyed studying the words of men who had been there.  Those letters were written by men not at all unlike me or those veterans of World War Two.  They were my age with dreams and hopes like mine.  It was a slow growing interest that turned into a passion.  Now through books and Living History my passion has grown almost to an obsession.  The more I learn the more I want to know about those men.  Luckily my passion has grown to encompass my entire family.

I have gained an understanding of the day to day life; day to day trials and tribulations that still haunt the average soldier.  All in all I have garnered an understanding of our history; a knowledge that the more things change the more they have stayed the same.

Current time is 06:11 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3182 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 27 queries executed.