Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Republican candidate debate - Civil War News/ Press Releases - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue May 15th, 2007 07:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Regina

Mana: 

While listening to NPR today in my car, they mentioned that one of the topics to be debated tonight by the Republican candidates will be about the Confederate flag.  They also mentioned that it is a hot topic in Columbia SC (where the debate will be held) since it is displayed there ( I guess at the State House).  I didn't see the first debate but I will be able to see some of tonight's and I think it will be interesting.

Posted: Wed May 16th, 2007 05:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Regina the flag is at the state house grounds inside a fence next to a monument dedicated to Confederate soldiers.   It is on a regular size flag pole and is a regular size flag.  It is no longer flying from the flag pole over the top of the Statehouse. 

There are monuments all over the state house grounds.  One ot the Palmetto Brigade (?) from the Mexican War, a statue of Washington,  A huge statue of Wade Hampton in Uniform on horse back with bronze plaques all around the base with the names of the battles he fought in.  Not of him as governor of the state.  There is also a huge memorial to African Americans  It is not one statue but a whole display that you walk around and in.  There are many other statues also around the grounds. 

Posted: Wed May 16th, 2007 07:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Regina

Mana: 

Well, I missed the debate last night because I was watching a 2-hour PBS program about Alexander Hamilton.  Thanks, Susan, for the information about the Confederate flag and all the monuments.  If I ever get to Columbia it would be nice to see that area. 

Posted: Wed May 16th, 2007 10:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Regina the state house grounds are really interesting to wander around.  The Palmetto monument is Mexican War and absolutely beautiful. 

Was Alexander Hamilton show good ?  I wanted to watch it but had Round Table last night. 

Posted: Thu May 17th, 2007 04:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
David White

Mana: 

The Hamilton show was good, if only he had been more of a diplomat I think he would be remembered more fondly  than he is and probably have been one of the presidents (and lived longer too).  Particluarly poignant was his telling his son he had to defend his honor in a duel where his son, whom he had high hopes for,  lost his life.  Then a few years later he did the same thing.  For such a smart guy he just didn't have the common sense and diplomacy to avoid these affairs of honor. 

You have chosen to ignore indy19th. click Here to view this post

Current time is 03:41 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3175 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 28 queries executed.