Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > The Lounge > Other History > Modest Gains Seen in U.S. Students’ History Scores

Modest Gains Seen in U.S. Students’ History Scores - Other History - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed May 16th, 2007 04:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Modest Gains Seen in U.S. Students’ History Scores

Federal officials reported today that students in fourth, eighth and 12 grade showed modest increases in test scores in history, although more than half of the nation’s high school seniors still showed poor command of even basic facts like the impact of the cotton gin on the slave economy or the causes of the Korean War.

Read the Whole Article at
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/16/education/16cnd-history.html?ex=1336968000&en=1bab553b01016937&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Posted: Fri Feb 1st, 2008 02:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
CTmom

Mana: 

I see this is an old topic, but it is an issue I have strong feelings about. It is downright frightening how little most American kids know about history. We homeschool our children, and they LOVE history. My daughter was four when we covered the Tudors, and she got really into Henry VIII and all his wives. She's seven now, and has read countless books on this topic, just for fun. It was really cool to see a petite four year old trotting about chanting, "Divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived!"

I just reviewed a great book about running history fairs. You can see it here: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art25736.asp

We try to participate in things such as Veteran's Day essay contests and my kids always work history into our homeschool group reports on National Day and International Day. When I was taught history in school it was dry and dull, but it doesn't have to be that way!

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sat Feb 2nd, 2008 01:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Not only lacking in history but in geography. Remember when it was a course in and of itself. Unfortunately, now all one has to do is google it.

Doc C

Posted: Sat Feb 2nd, 2008 07:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
ole

Mana: 

We all seem to have an idea of how education ought to be conducted today. I guess we've forgotten how much new stuff has been picked up since we were in K-12. More wars, including the cold one, more developments in science, theology and history than I can keep up with, and we expect the schools to keep up? C'mon guys and gals, we have difficulty keeping up and we still expect them to read, write, cipher and think?

What our children learn was never intended to be a function of the Federal Government. At the very least, can we expect them to read, write and cipher? Before they are dumped into the real world? As I understand it, this is the essence of "No Child Left Behind." Fraught with hope and woefully missing the whole idea of education, isn't at least the basics that we expect?

Guess I have the advantage that my parents expected me to swallow whatever the teacher was trying to teach -- some basic grounding in that wherever I wanted to go, they wouldn't be speaking a foreign language.

I've gotten into the idea that local control has outlived its time. But I haven't gotten to the point that the Feds know what is best. We've become much to accustomed to the idea that the government knows what is best. We are realizing (well, many of us) that the government has no idea of where to go from here.

So I'm rather fond of the chit system wherein it again becomes the responsibility of the parent to send the kid(s) to a competitive school that is not run by Congress or President. Choice. Vive la marketplace!

ole

Posted: Sat Feb 2nd, 2008 08:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

We can blame, bitch, acuse, etc. the fed/state govt. all we want. (I agree that theres a great deal lacking in our present day schools.) However, ultimately the responsibility for the education of our children is we parents. Thank god my 2 are out of college with jobs and I don't have to face that again.

Doc C

Posted: Sat Feb 2nd, 2008 11:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

i have always got A's in History. mainly because its the only subject i like and its interesting.

Posted: Sun Feb 3rd, 2008 01:30 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Again, as in another post, you're definitely a Jeffersonian.

Posted: Mon Feb 4th, 2008 05:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
ole

Mana: 

So what do you gentlemen do when the Feds talk about cutting funds? I don't want to think about it. Somewhere, out there, are some really fine people (not all of them) trying to teach the little buggers something so that they might, eventually, join the crowd.

I would really very much like to identify those who are truly TEACHERS. And I would support paying them a great deal of money for their service. Unfortunately, the great ones are few. And the teacher's union wants to hide them so as not to make the rest look bad.

Geez.

ole

Posted: Tue Feb 5th, 2008 04:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
ole

Mana: 

In my case, and all my sibs, there was a very simplistic answer: you WILL be as good or better than any of them! So we were. It was expected. There were no self-esteem issues nor what was fair or not fair. An average grade was unacceptable. These were parents! And there really ought to be a few more like them.

ole

Current time is 12:22 am
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > The Lounge > Other History > Modest Gains Seen in U.S. Students’ History Scores

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1935 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 32 queries executed.