Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Washington, DC Civil War sites - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu May 31st, 2007 04:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
wanderson

Mana: 

I'm headed to DC for a few days in July.  I've been there numerous times but not since I got interested in the Civil War.  I'm looking for recommendations of CW-related sites in DC.  (Not the nearby battlefields, though.)  Many thanks.

Posted: Thu May 31st, 2007 05:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Art B.

Mana: 

Ford's Theater

The White House

Don't know if the old Treasury Building [Chase's domain], War Dept. Bldg. [Stanton's domain], Navy Dept. Bldg. [Welle's hangout], the prison where the Lincoln assassins were held & hung, are still around.

The National Gallery of Art has St. Gauden's original life-size plaster model for the monument to the 54th Massachusetts Colored Infantry.

There are some remnants of the Ring Forts that surrounded DC during the war.

National Archives has tons of ACW stuff, as probably does the Smithsonian.

Behind the US Capitol is a Grant statue, IIRC.

Art in Tampa, FL

Posted: Thu May 31st, 2007 05:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Fort C.F. Smith, county park located at 2411 N. 24th St. between I-66 and the George Washington Memorial Parkway, off Spout Run Parkway, (turn on Lorcom from Spout Run, right on Fillmore and right on 24th Street) - Well-preserved Union fortification built in 1863 to extend the Arlington defenses to the Potomac River. Nice county park. Call for programs. Civil War Trails interpretation. 703-243-7329.

Fort Ethan Allen, located just off the Old Glebe Road at the Madison School just south of the George Washington Parkway - Built in 1861 to command approaches to the Chain Bridge over the Potomac into Washington, this is a companion fortification to Fort Marcy (Fairfax County), on the Washington Parkway. Historical marker and school parking lot at the south face of the fort. Civil War Trails interpretation located near the south face of the fort past the soccer fields.

Fort Stevens, just west of Georgia Avenue
on Quackenbos Street NW in Rock Creek Park

President Abraham Lincoln risked life and limb to view the skirmishing here July 12, 1864, as Confederate Gen. Jubal Early approached Washington from the north. The Confederates never threatened seriously but shook things up a little. The fort is partially preserved and interpreted. From the city, take Seventh Street north; it turns into Georgia Avenue. Look for the radio towers, the fort is just to the left behind Emory Methodist Church. From I-495 take Georgia Avenue south. Less than a mile north of the fort is the tiny but interesting Battleground Cemetery. For much more on the forts in the park and other Washington defenses, see http://www.nps.gov.rocr (click on "History and Culture"). General park info: 202-895-6239.

National Museum of Health & Medicine, 6900 Georgia Ave NW
(Walter Reed Hospital)

Excellent Civil War exhibit, "To Bind up the Nation's Wounds: Medicine During the Civil War," includes photographs, artifacts and much more. Some unusual items here including Gen. Daniel Sickles's leg bones (lost at Gettysburg) and the bullet that killed Lincoln. Docent-led tours at 1 pm on the second and fourth Saturdays. Open 10 am-5:30 pm. Free. For much more: nmhm.washingtondc.museum or 202-782-2200.

The African American Civil War Museum, 1200 U Street NW
      Photographs, documents, artifacts and interactive presentations describe the story of the United States Colored Troops. Program helps trace descendents of the black soldiers. Memorial lists the more than 200,000 USCT who served in the Civil War. Open Monday-Friday 10 am-5 pm, Saturday 10 am-2 pm. 202-667-2667.

Posted: Thu May 31st, 2007 08:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Don't forget that Manassas, Antietam/Sharpsburg, Gettysburg are close by and an easy drive away.

Doc C

Posted: Fri Jun 1st, 2007 02:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
David White

Mana: 

You can eat Chinese food in the old Surratt Boarding House in Chinatown.  Not the best Chinese food but not terrible either.

The CW era treasury dept is still there next to the WH but the old war and navy department are gone. 

Go to the Navy yard and see their museum lots of unique CW relics there.  Plus you can still see the building that supposedly has Eric Dahlgren's leg in its cornerstone put there by his father Admiral Dahlgren after the younger Dahlgren lost it at Gettysburg.

Last edited on Fri Jun 1st, 2007 02:53 pm by David White

Posted: Fri Jun 1st, 2007 03:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Sushi isn't bad either at the Surrat BH. Legal Seafood is just around the corner if you have a craving for seafood in addition to Ford's theatre is a couple of blocks away.

Doc C

Posted: Sat Jun 2nd, 2007 09:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
calcav

Mana: 

The Lincoln Memorial

Arlington National Cemetery

Grant's statue in from of the Capital Building.

Frederick Douglas National Historic Site

Posted: Sun Jun 3rd, 2007 04:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Regina

Mana: 

My sister and I are headed to the DC area this coming weekend.  We're going to see a performance of "Jesus Christ Superstar" in Vienna, VA on Saturday, but we decided to add a few other sites and make it a 3-day weekend.  We're going to try to get to Frederick Douglas' Home, Arlington, Mt. Vernon and Old Town Alexandria

Posted: Sun Jun 3rd, 2007 04:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Old town Alexandria a quaint little place to visit, nice sites, torpedo factor, restaurants, great views of the river, D.C. from there. Easy to get to by metro, lets you off at the head of King St., just walk left from the train station toward the river. Parking can sometimes be hard to come by and if found rather pricey. Alexandria (not Arlington) Nat. Cemetery is nearby.

Doc C

Posted: Sun Jun 3rd, 2007 06:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Just got word - Ford's Theater is about to close for a year and a half for renovations. Peterson House will remain open. Details in tomorrow's CWi.

Posted: Fri Jun 8th, 2007 09:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
TimHoffman01

Mana: 

The torpedo factory is really cool if your are down there.  I used to live near enough to visit OT Alexandria rather frequently.   NOW, one cool place to go if it is still open in the full capacity is Gadspy's Tavern.  Though not a Civil War site per se (more revolutionary or pre-rev).  George Washington and associates used to frequent it.  When I lived up there they still served meals cooked the old fashioned way.  The vegetable soup was terrific, and of course, they were dressed in period costume for the effect.

One Major word of warning about the Metro right now, however, they are doing work on the yellow/blue lines.  They are currently North of King St.  Depending on time of day it caused quite a delay through that zone.  You may want to check their work schedules first before planning a busy day.  I took a pack of cub scouts to the White House a few weeks ago.  Took us 2.5 hours to get from the Smithsonian stop to Springfield Franconia on the way home.

Posted: Sun Jun 10th, 2007 10:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Regina

Mana: 

Well, we're back from the weekend in the DC area.  I noticed a statue that I think was General Meade--over near the Capital building, but we only caught a glimpse.  We had a very hard time finding Frederick Douglas' home--got there at 4:00 on Friday--it was closed (even though the sign said open until 5:00).  When we were in Arlington later I saw that they run tours over there, so maybe next time I can see it.  Mt. Vernon was great, Old Town Alexandria was great--did the walking tour (in the 100 degree weather).  Also saw Civil War-related sign near the Masonic Monument.  The area was campground for a New York regiment.  We were at the torpedo factory but didn't tour it.  Also, when we drove by the National Arboretum in Washington DC (NW) we saw ruins of something that definitely looked Civil War related but I don't know yet what it was.  Traffic in the area has become torture.

Posted: Mon Jul 16th, 2007 04:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
wanderson

Mana: 

We just got back from 5 great days in DC.  Didn't get to as many sights as I had hoped to, but that's the way it goes.  The Frederick Douglass House was the highlight.  It is a beautifully-restored Victorian house that sits high on a hill.  Most of the items in the house are original.  The ranger gave a very informative talk on Douglass.   For a former slave to be able to buy a home like that more than 100 years ago is amazing!  He would be horrified to see the neighborhood now, though.  I hadn't been to DC in ten years.  Anacostia obviously is still horrible.  But Adams Morgan has had a nice revival.    The Eastern Market metro area looked a bit better, too.

In my walks about, I found statues of McClellan (Dupont Circle), Sherman (near the White House), Grant (in front of Capitol).  Happened upon a nice memorial to the Iron Brigade at Arlington in addition to the lovely memorial to Gen. Kearny.

We also took in the Evening Parade at the Marine Barracks.  It never disappoints.

Current time is 07:13 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3820 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 26 queries executed.