Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Hello, Everyone - Introductions - About this Forum - Start Here - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jun 12th, 2007 03:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
SimoneSays

Mana: 

Hello, everyone.  I'm Simone.  I live in West, Texas and I've been recently introduced to this board by a friend.  I'm really excited to learn as much as I can because I've always been one to stop at historical markers, old buildings and entranced by anything dealing with history.

I look foward to learning much about each of you - your ideas, your thoughts and your knowledge.

Many blessings,
Simone

Posted: Tue Jun 12th, 2007 03:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Welcome Simone!

I love the Mary Chestnut avatar - very cool:):cool::cool::cool:

Looking forward to your sharing with us here on the CWi board :).

Sincerely,

JoanieReb

Last edited on Tue Jun 12th, 2007 03:52 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Tue Jun 12th, 2007 04:01 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
SimoneSays

Mana: 

*smile... Thank you for your greeting JoanieReb.  Just the marginal looking around that I've started, I realize there is so much for me to read.  I'm not quite sure where to start.  Any suggestions?

:)

┬žimone┬žays ~ I see a lilly on thy brow, / With anguish moist and fever dew; / And on thy cheek a fading rose / Fast withereth too. I met a lady in the meads / Full beautiful, a faery's child; / Her hair was long, her foot was light, / And her eyes were wild. - Keats

Posted: Tue Jun 12th, 2007 04:55 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Simone,

No suggestions right now - but, not only do you have Mary Chestnut as your avatar, you have lines from "'La Belle Dam Sans Merci " as your personal quote?  Too much!

For my first bachelor's (I did a BA and a BS) I wrote my senior thesis on Keats - have a picture that was a graduation gift entitled "La Belle Dam Sans Merci" over my dresser  - the pale knight being over-come and all.  A little too over-wrought for my tastes today, or, maybe not, LOL!

Glad you're on-board (no pun intended!).  Read until you find what catches your fancy, than add on!  Looking forward to it -

Joanie

Last edited on Tue Jun 12th, 2007 04:57 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Tue Jun 12th, 2007 11:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Welcome to the board Simone. Sounds like you're thirsty for knowledge - hope we can quench that thirst. Welcome again...

Posted: Tue Jun 12th, 2007 04:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

Welcome to the board from another newbie. For a balanced introduction try Battle Cry Of Freedom. Sorry I don't recall the author. I feel it gives one of the most balanced perspectives on political, economic and abolitionist reasons that there was a war.  I am just now reading  the Civil War  a narative by Shelby Fote. It is a series of books that helps to place all the major battles and events in cronological relation. I got it for Christmas and just now am upto Vicksburg- Gettysburg volume.      

Posted: Tue Jun 12th, 2007 09:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Good calls by me, j harold!

I think Foote's 3 volume set and  James Mcpherson's Battle Cry of Freedom lay down about the best foundation for learning about TWBTS one can have.  Perfer Foote, myself; think he has a broader interpretation in the long run, always find McPherson a bit narrow in his interpretive scope, but, he is surely, along with Foote, an icon in the field.

Current time is 01:23 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1847 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 26 queries executed.