Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

the clewells - Help Looking for an individual - Genealogy - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jul 24th, 2007 08:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Oh. My. God.

I'm beginning to think that you might be a Clewell yourself, TD. That was simply awesome stuff. I've learned more about Clewells in the last 24 hours than I have in 56 previous years on the planet. I can't thank you enough.

I'm emailng those URLs to my aunt, who has a computer but doesn't email with it because she said her fingers are no longer nimble enought to use a keyboard. I also want to see what she has to send me about the family before I pursue the matter any further.

When I was a teenager, I used to ride my bicycle to Schoeneck, which is near Nazareth and not far from Bethlehem. Never gave it a thought to check out the cemetery, though. Dumb kid. I'm also glad to see my German fell close to the mark. I haven't spoke a lick of German since I was in high school 38 years ago. Ach du lieber!

I've seen the two monuments to the 153rd Pa. at Gettysburg, of course. The one on the top left is located on East Cemetery Hill, and the one on the top right, the bugler, is the principle monument to the 153rd on top of Barlow's Knoll. Don't know a thing about the 119th Pa., which is part of Sedgewick's 6th Corps. But now I have something else to check out the next time I'm in Gettysburg.

TD, I am stunned, speechless (well, sort of) and very grateful. If I never learn another thing on this board, it was well worth this visit.

You've taken giant steps for me. Many thanks. (or Viele danke — man, it's coming back to me in a rush now)

Pvt. Clewell

Last edited on Tue Jul 24th, 2007 08:59 pm by PvtClewell

Posted: Tue Jul 24th, 2007 10:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

PVT Clewell,

I'm afraid that my relatives haven't been involved with the interesting 270 year saga of the Clewell Family in America. In fact, none of my people have been here for much over 100 years. Therefore, I have no Civil War related relatives, and must content myself with finding those of others.

I am happy to have been a catalyst in helping you to be "introduced" to some of your predecessors, and now also some of your present day relatives. By "knowing" the old ones (at least as well as it is possible to do so), we honor them. Perhaps by reading about some of your relatives, others might be inspired to learn more about their own.

Every one of us is an accident of history. We are only here because of the decisions and actions of untold thousands of generations gone before, and, in many cases, events that were beyond their control.

This exercise has had a personal payoff for me. Thanks to Lewis P. Clewell and others, my knowledge of American History has been enhanced. Gaining knowledge is my passion in life. Knowledge makes a man fit company for himself.

PS- Bitte schon.

PPS- There aren't any Clewells in my phone book, either. <g>.

Last edited on Wed Jul 25th, 2007 09:28 pm by Texas Defender

Current time is 06:05 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2660 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 25 queries executed.