Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Muster 2007 - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Jun 17th, 2007 11:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Laurie, Dave and I snuck away from college registration early so we could meet old and new friends at the muster in Franklin. Many were discussion board members, including SusanSweet, Widow, Ole and others. It was an honor to meet all of them. I plan on sharing more about it, but need to get some sleep right now. I opened this thread so others will share their thoughts and memories. Just remember, Laurie and I have run this site for going on 12 years and have never published a picture of either of us. We'd like it to stay that way. Mystique is a good thing. More later...

Posted: Mon Jun 18th, 2007 04:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Steven Cone

Mana: 

:shock:   

I wish I would have known who was  who.. I did have the pleasure  meeting some new folks  and  and seeing some friends i havent seen in year or so..   Ole  It was pleasure seeing you and mobile again .  Wish we would have chance to  to really sit down and chat.   

Susan, Widow it was a pleasure ladies.  .   I do hope that everyone enjoyed themself?  Hopefully I was able add some in site to what Thomas and Eric had to say ..

Anyone local going to the Symposium this coming weekend ?  I will be part of the Living history Demo. : )

Regards

Steven Cone

Last edited on Mon Jun 18th, 2007 04:34 am by Steven Cone

Posted: Mon Jun 18th, 2007 06:16 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
ole

Mana: 

Got back myself -- finally. Yes, Mr. Cone, it was indeed wonderful seeing you again. Old friends, new friends, people who almost never post or chat, susan, widow, basecat, MAP, GenP, REL, Vickie, javal and on and on. Am now fighting sleep to catch up on the boards. Maybe I'll be a bit more cogent tomorrow?

Ole

Posted: Wed Jun 20th, 2007 12:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

It was such a fun weekend .  I was glad to meet all of you that I had met on line in this board.  Joe , so nice to meet you and Laurie in person and chat for a while.  Ole I was so glad to put a face with someone I have been chatting with here for such a long time now.  Steve, you really did add to the local color.  Nothing like having three tour guides all to our selves all day. 

This was my first muster but won't be my last.  I am not home yet.  I am sitting here tonight in Indian Territory  on my laptop.  I still have two days to get home .  I am not driving too far each day. 

Today I had an adventure trying to find my great grandfather's grave .   Not successful either. 

I have a pile of books to read, some from the muster, some from the exchange and some from Shiloh and Corinth.   Sigh too many books sooo little time. 

On to Charleston !!!!

Posted: Wed Jun 20th, 2007 04:01 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Steven Cone

Mana: 

From the bottom of my heart I would like to thank you all for coming to my little piece of the world.  I do hope you all enjoyed yourself.  I enjoyed my self the little time I was with the group.. No matter how often I visit those hollowed grounds I still  kinda get displaced in time

And was deep in thought  when Thomas asked if I had anything to say on Johnson Night attack at the Carter House.. My mind just went blank.   There are so many stories that could be told..

One such story I had planed to share was that of  Dr. Fielding Pope Sloan who passed away on this date June 19th 1865 in the home of Franklin, Tennessee Mayor - John Brown McEwen. Leaving a wife and three Children.

Dr. Fielding Sloan was the regimental surgeon of the 25th/50th Alabama Infantry C.S.A. That was in Deas Brigade of  Maj Gen Edward Johnson Division. As a noncombatant he was not required to place himself in harms way during battle, but during the  Battle of Franklin he chose to do so to help the wounded and dying soldiers from field.

In the process, he received bullet wounds through both the chest as well as the right wrist. The following day he was taken to the home of Mayor McEwen with other wounded Confederate soldiers.

Three days after the battle, Sloan's right arm would be amputated below the elbow. But as gangrene developed four days after his initial amputation, the elbow joint was then amputated.

Over a period of months, Sloan's health would continually decline Although he was said to be strong in spirit , his wound to his chest kept him bed ridden and he suffered horribly, till his death seven and a half months after he was wounded.

His mortal remains  still rest in the family plot of the McEwen Family in Rest Haven Cemetery in Franklin, Tennessee.  Not to far from where Tod Carter is buried.

But I do  hope I was able to add a insight  to what Thomas had to say on Friday and with Thomas & Eric had to say Saturday.  Perhaps  one of theses days i can  gibve my own tours

There's really so much to see  in the area as we didn't even cover the battle of Nashville or some of the other battles in the area.

Once again I thank you and I hope you will all come visit again..

kindest regards,
Steven Cone

3rd great grandson of Daniel Craft 22nd alabama Infantry  fought at M'boro and Franklin
3rd great nephew of Moses Ball 22nd alabama Infantry  fought at M'boro and maybe Franklin
3rd great nephew of George Harris 28th alabama Infantry  fought at M'boro and  Franklin
3rd great nephew of John Harris 28th alabama Infantry fought at M'boro

Distant cousin of Allen Kepner 41st Ohio   fought at M'boro was at Franklin but not in battle

Distant cousin of Charles H. Cone 69th Ohio fought at M'boro. Died May 5th 1863
Listed on the Stones River National Cemetery roll as Charles H. Cones   but theres is no stone for him.

Posted: Wed Jun 27th, 2007 07:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
CWgal

Mana: 

'It was great to be with our muster family again and to meet all the new members of the clan.  Thanks to MAP and GenP for making it another one to remember.  I do appreciate everyone that was involved in making this years muster a huge success.  Tom and Eric were priceless guides and really brought the battles in that area to life.

Steve (slnj) and I always enjoy muster and look forward to it all year.  The time is always too short once we get there.  We will do our best to see all of you in Charleston/Savannah.  However, we are the planning coordinators for my Ggrandfather's civil war unit, the 43d Tenn, CSA, descendents reunion to be held in Vicksburg, June 13-15, 2008.  We are hoping to be able to take both weekends off back to back.

Oh, btw javal, I did find one of my muster pictures I posted of you and Xan.....I deleted it! :P  It was great to see all three of you again.  Gosh, when did Sox grow up?????? 

Later, y'all!

The Bookends

Current time is 12:23 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3980 seconds (25% database + 75% PHP). 26 queries executed.