Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

That hill... - Other People of the Civil War - The Participants of the War - Mikitary & Civilian - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Aug 14th, 2007 01:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
81st Post
ole

Mana: 

Though the opportunity to develop  high level officers is less, wouldn't that mean you would not spread so thin your officer corps, in effect streamlining it and making it more effective?

Your point is well taken, Orphan, and your corollary is sound. It would seem, however, that a streamlined officer corps failed Davis when it came time to replace JEJ. And it doesn't approach the argument of fleet and smooth unit movements, logistics, supply, and so on.

Will make it a point of looking up that book. If it isn't in my "Atlanta" stack, then I won't find it soon. It was a book of 7 or 8 essays having to do with that campaign.

ole

Posted: Tue Aug 14th, 2007 06:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
82nd Post
ole

Mana: 

Orphan:

I think I found it. The book I had in mind was The Campaign for Atlanta published by Savas-Woodbury in 1994 as part of a series called Campaign Chronicles. Series Editors where Theodore P. Savas and David A. Woodbury. The article I cited was, I think, written by Steven E. Woodworth and titled, "A Reassessment of Confederate Command Options During the Winter of 1863-1864."

I said "I think" because I didn't re-read the essay. If the essay doesn't specifically relate to unit-size and command development, it certainly does discuss in some detail Davis' options and command choices. Well worth reading.

ole

Current time is 09:23 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2944 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 26 queries executed.