Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

The Sound of a Cannon Barrage? - Weapons of the Civil War - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jul 19th, 2007 07:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
younglobo

Mana: 

A bit of Missouri trivia here .. Have you ever heard of old Sacramento was a artillery piece that traveled with Gen. Prices army was made out of melted down church bells and had a very distinctive ring when it was fired.

http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1912/s/sacramento_cannon.html

One of Bledsoe's guns was captured by the Missourians in the Mexican war at the battle of Sacramento. It was presented by the general government to the State of Missouri and for years stood on the bluff overlooking the Missouri river at Lexington. Bledsoe brought it out with a yoke of oxen. There was a considerable percentage of silver in its composition, which gave it a ring when fired that could be distinguished on the field amidst the firing of a hundred ordinary guns. Bledsoe's battery was always in the thickest of the fight, and the soldiers of the State Guard, as well as the Federals, soon came to know "Old Sacramento's" voice. It became so badly grooved from use that it was finally condemned, sent to Memphis to be recast with other guns, and its identity lost.

the above copied from http://www.civilwarhome.com/missouriintro.htm

just some local trivia from my home state and town since we were talking about arty and distinctive sounds

Posted: Fri Jul 20th, 2007 02:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
David White

Mana: 

Younglobo:

Players of CWI trivia knew that

Posted: Fri Jul 20th, 2007 03:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Really Cool sorry to waste everyones time then . Never play the trivia cause the questions would take me to long to reasearch to answer , having a wife, kids and job.  And sometimes you all wonder why folks dont post more.

Posted: Fri Jul 20th, 2007 06:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Really Cool sorry to waste everyones time then . Never play the trivia cause the questions would take me to long to reasearch to answer , having a wife, kids and job.  And sometimes you all wonder why folks dont post more.

YB - you didn't waste anyone's time. Hate to speak for someone else, but I don't think David meant it that way. The thing about forums is that if you say something tongue-in-cheek, or in a light-hearted way, and forget to add an icon (:P), it can seem as if someone's making a smart ass remark when they really don't mean to. We realize that a lot of folks don't play trivia, and I'm sure the story you relayed was useful (and entertaining) to them.....

Posted: Sat Jul 21st, 2007 03:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Javal1 wrote:

"YB - you didn't waste anyone's time. Hate to speak for someone else, but I don't think David meant it that way. The thing about forums is that if you say something tongue-in-cheek, or in a light-hearted way, and forget to add an icon (:P), it can seem as if someone's making a smart ass remark when they really don't mean to. "

This is So TRUE! 

Recently, I got confused by a post on the only other board that I belong to, and was hurt, especially since the person whom posted is very well-respected there.  I PM'd him to ask how I had offended him, and he said a very smart thing: 

"Sometimes, the things that we say in our minds fall flat on the board.  We think we know each other, because we interact so much.  We really don't know each other, we wouldn't recognize each other on the street, and very likely wouldn't be drawn to each other if we were in the same room.  We FEEL familar to each other, and this is what our alliance on the board is based on.  But we really DON'T know each other, and are bound to make mistakes that we are completely unaware of making...."

That Guy was trying to make a sympathetic joke to someting that I'd posted, and it didn't work.   I worry about doing this all the time, since I am one of those "SPLAT" put-it-all-out-in-front people. 

On these boards, we should never assume offense or insensitivity unless someone is really getting in our faces - we are, after all, from different states, cultures, backgrounds, friends, and family..... but we are bonded here, on the board, and I am sure don't mean to hurt each other.

That Guy and I now email regularly.  His accidently hurting my feelings on that board led to an interesting discussion in cultural differences, and we have continued it for 5 weeks now....

We realize that a lot of folks don't play trivia, and I'm sure the story you relayed was useful (and entertaining) to them....."

It was VERY entertaining to me!  Thank you, Younglobo!  I joined CWi to play trivia, then got drawn in by the discussion board.  I had to make a choice between the two - and I have not played trivia since then (well, maybe once, but just once)!!!!!

I know a couple of others have made the same decision.  So, we wouldn't know what was there on the trivia board anymore.  Thanks for sharing!

(PS -  Your version was probably better than the trivia version:  Nah-nah-nah, Trivia Question Writers!   (ALERT:  THAT WAS A JOKE.  If you don't believe it, go directly to your basements and await the second coming... of... Hurricane Katrina!)

Joanie

Posted: Mon Jul 23rd, 2007 02:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
David White

Mana: 

Younglobo:

Sorry the post came across wrong, I was inserting it as more of a plug for the trivia game where that was one of the questions one time that stuck with me. 

I in no way would discourage folks from posting anything of interest like you did, especially since we have new folks all the time that wouldn't necessarily remember the trivia question.  I'll think a little more about future posts, sometimes I just throw them out there too fast if I am busy.

Posted: Wed Jul 25th, 2007 06:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

David

My Appoligies to you sir I was having an off day and Reb is correct sometimes reading is not the same as talking in person, sometimes phrases come out/read wrong. Water under the bridge as far as im concerned.

Posted: Thu Jul 26th, 2007 03:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
connyankee

Mana: 

A few years back, I attended the mega-event "Chancellorsville" at Fort Pickett, Virginia.  At about 6 or 7am one morning, we all gathered to watch the Federals storm Marye's Heights.  There were about eight confederate guns atop this hill in front of us and a low, dense fog was surrounding everything.  All of a sudden,  the battle opened with these guns firing one right after the other, as if to say Hello! Good Morning!  Then the musketry started and after a while the woods, back of where we were standing, echoed of all this to the point where the deafening sound was coming from all directions.  Soon after, between the smoke and the fog, you couldn't see anything.  The soldiers looked like slow masses of shadows moving low along the ground.  What an errie sight - damndist thing I ever witnessed.  The ground really did shake and the late September leaves were being rattled off the trees.  Every once in a while, a cannon would belch a sheet of flame about 15-20 feet.

While visiting Gaines's Mill once and walking along Boatswain's Creek, I was reminded of all this while reading a park sign quoting a survivor of that engagement.  It was the loudest encounter that he had personally been in during the entire war, with the sound coming from all directions and making it difficult to tell friend from foe.  This man made it clear that he was very confused.  Weather and terrain seems to have had a lot to do with the magnitude of the sound.  Sometimes, they couln't hear a fight nearby at all, due to the phenomena known as accoustic shadow.

:) connyankee

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Mon Sep 17th, 2007 02:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
traygreen

Mana: 

Was out at Wilson's Creek a couple of weeks ago and through together a quick movie (1 min) of the cannon demonstration...

Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2007 02:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
Homeschool_Teen_01

Mana: 

Just imagine the sound of a battle.As you march forward with your company, you see several puffs of smoke appear in front of you.  Moments later, the bullets begin to hiss and whiz through the air around you.  Several of your buddies to the left and right tumble head over heels, screaming in pain.  Now, the roar of musketry begins to set in.  A constant rumble, like a drum beating out the rhythm of death.  The sound of the bullets flying around sound like little angry bees and the trees begin to splinter and send fragments of sawdust into your eyes.  The smoke is terrible, you can hardly see 50 feet down the line.  You can't hear the commands to fire, but you can hear the screams and cries of the wounded.But now you hear a different sound, the rumble of musketry is overpowered by a deeper roar.  The earth shakes and the trees begin to explode.  Shrapnel flies whizzes by you, killing some and wounding others.  The concussions of the blasts make you want to throw down your musket and plug your ears.  The bullets are now a continual hiss and buzz, they never stop coming.  Some of your friends from childhood die next to you, or they run in fear.  You get the urge to do the same, but you know that if you run you will be humiliated for the rest of your life, however short it may be.  You bring your musket to your shoulder and fire at the first flash of fire that you see.  The whole line has stopped now, everyone is loading and shooting as fast as they can.  Some shoot wildy, hoping to hit anything, but others take their time to aim and score hit after hit.  Slowly, but surely, you gain confidence that the men are prevailing.  Some begin to advance, but are cut down by the thousands of bullets flying through the air, others are tossed ten feet up from an artillery shell, but the boys are not to be stopped.

They finally reach the entrenched enemy on the heights.  A ferious hand-to-hand combat ensues.  You grapple with one man and club him on the head.  The shock of killing a man hits you as hard as your musket butt hit this man's head.  You reel in pain, but you have no time to rest.  Then, the roar begins to die down.  The cannons cease firing, they've retreated.  Same with the rest of the enemy.  The whole line quiets down, then silence reigns once more.  But the silence does not stay for long, soon a yell is heard.  It grows until you and all your friends are yelling and cheering in victory, but there is another sound that drowns out all others, the sound of hundreds of wounded and dying men, lying on the field of battle below.................

Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 01:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Every now and then I like to check out some of the discussions from the past, especially before I joined up here. Don't know if you folks do that, too.

Anyway, I was reading through this one about the sound of cannons started by Fan, and even though I know next to nothing about cannons and can't say it's a particular interest to me (if you can say there's anything about the Civil War that's NOT an interest to me!), I found myself reading through the whole thing with real interest. Not only was it chock full of interesting facts--I loved the part about how napoleons "ring" and rifled guns don't--it also warned me to watch out for reenactors singing at the top of their lungs and scaring off squirrels. Oh, and mostly, it reminded me again how much darn fun this chatting thing is.

It made me think back to my own rather limited experience with cannon: when I was just starting to get interested in the Civil War, I made my husband go to any sort of encampment within a 50 mile radius of Philadelphia so I could soak it up. One of the first was Civil War Days encampment of the 183 PA at Landis Valley Museum in Lancaster. I was able to experience Rickett's Battery's firing, and I'll tell you, when you can feel the sound of the discharge in your belly, that's a keeper. All I remember thinking was, "Wow!" I was able to see them there the next year, as well, and they gave a great show, again. 

So thanks for letting me dredge up that "bang" of a memory!

Pam

Posted: Thu Dec 24th, 2009 02:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
Mark

Mana: 

I guess this post has been dead for a while, but I just noticed it while waiting for the in-laws to arrive and I thought I could add my two cents worth. I've been on the receiving end of short barrages of 105mm rockets and 60-120mm mortars while in Iraq and the one thing that stood out to me was that instead of a boom or a bang, its a "WHOOOSH-SLAM-WHUMP!" Really takes the breath out of you and louder than you would think (its also a good part of the reason I am partially deaf). I guess that is about what shot would have sounded like. Shell probably would have had more of the "BANG!" I'm curious about canister. I'm a tanker and we still use a canister round (which, interestingly enough still looks just like the ACW round, just with a much larger charge). Fired from a tank, the canister round it doesn't sound any different than any other round, but I do wonder about what it would sound like at the other end... Thoughts anyone?

Merry Christmas to all!
Mark

Posted: Sun Dec 27th, 2009 12:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
34th Post
19bama46

Mana: 

First off, welcome home and Merry Christmas. Your service is gratefully acknowledged. Unfortunatley, or fortunatley, I have no firsthand experience with canister, but I imagine the sound would be similiar, cannon using black powder, or cannon using smokeless... BOOM and watching stuff fall...

ED

Posted: Tue Dec 29th, 2009 04:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
35th Post
Genlee63

Mana: 

The National Civil War Artillery Association does  live fire events at an Army Artillery Range in Virginia.  The sound crew for the Gettysburg and Gods and Generals movies were there to record the sound.  The best way to describe it is like a loud crack compared to the loud boom that you get with a reenactment piece firing 9 or 10 oz. shot.  

The group I  belong to use a 3 inch Ordnance Rifled piece, and when you are next to the gun, it's not bad, but being down range or on the opposite side of a field, it can be defening. 

Current time is 07:33 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4128 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 27 queries executed.