Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Random Ramblings - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Aug 21st, 2007 10:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Visited the Spotsylvannia area this past Saturday. I had hoped to tour the trilogy - Fredricksburg, Chancellorsville, Spotsylvannia; but since 95 was a parking lot between DC and Staford and it took 2 hours to go 15 miles, I was only able to visit Spotslyvannia (my primary interest on this trip and couldn't walk the entire battlefield, only the mule shoe due to time constraints.) We live on the eastern shore of Maryland and frequently make day trips to the DC/Virginia area, primarily for my wife to shop in Tysons Corner while I take off to Antietam/Gettysburg/Virginia battlefields. Fortunately, I was the only one on the park service tour and had the ranger all to myself. Great guide. (If anyone is planning a visit, would be glad to give you his name - he's also a Gettysburg guide.) Unlike the 2nd Manassas, Cold Harbor, they've cleared the trees in front of the confederate fortifications making it appear as it did in 1864. Although I have many ancestors who were there on both sides, I was really interested in 3 - one in the 9th La, 4th Ga, 1st NC all present in the mule shoe area. Primarily, because of the capture of my 4th Ga ancestor - sent to Fort Delaware where he died of small pox and buried in New Jersey; my 1st NC ancestor, captured, eventually sent to Elmira and died between the end on the war and the evacuation of all prisoners. After my tour I can certainly see how my 4th Ga ancestor was captured since his regiment was out on the scirmish line when Uptons Brigade attacked them. As I've said before, even though one can read extensively on a particular battle, visiting one in person brings it all together.

Doc C

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sat Sep 29th, 2007 12:36 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
ole

Mana: 

"...but revisiting G'berg and Antietam is high on my list of things to do.."

Haven't been to G'burg myself, but if you haven't been to Antietam, get ready for a major treat. It and Shiloh are top spots for seeing the whole thing. Awesome, important fields, and fortunately, almost completely there and as they were.

ole

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Current time is 05:27 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3095 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 28 queries executed.